Not a fish lover..but

sting9, Apr 27, 12:43am
I am having a party on Saturday and two guests only eat fish, so as its just finger food I have decided to do salmon on little piklets and goujons of fish in breadcrumbs.My questions are, what sort of fish would be the best for cutting into fingers and how much would be needed for 13 people

lythande1, Apr 27, 12:53am
450gSlicedSmoked Salmon

ideal for a generous starter for 8 or nibbles for 12-16 people

beaker59, Apr 27, 12:56am
Only eating fish is an odd food fetish? Snapper fillet cuts well into fingers but any firm fish is good Gurnard is a delicious fish that lends itself well to fingers too consider that as a cheaper and possibly better option. I would get 2 Kg assuming there are other foods there.

lythande1, Apr 27, 1:00am
How about this.

Smoked Fish Scotch Eggs

6 hard-boiledeggs
2 skinned fillets white fish
1 tablespoon ofcornflour
1 large fillet of smoked fish
2 tbsps cream
egg and breadcrumbs
Oil for deep-frying

Set aside the hard-boiled eggs.Flake the smoked fish, discarding any bones or skin.
Blend all the remaining ingredients into a stiff paste and add the
smoked fish flakes. (easiest to do this in a blender or food processor) Shape into six equal portions and cover each hard-boiled egg evenly. Put in the fridge for an hour or so to firm up. Now roll the rounds gently in egg then in breadcrumbs like you would do with any crumbed fish or meat..

Put back in the fridge to firm again.
Fry until the breadcrumbs are golden and drain well on kitchen
paper.

Then what I do is, cool them, halve them, and drizzle over a bit of curry mayonnaise. (1 tsp curry powder, 2 tbsps mayonnaise)

Sounds weird but it's awesome. Off a Gray Rhodes recipe.

tehenga288, Apr 27, 1:00am
You need a firm fish for goujons - try something like ling or monkfish.if you wanta couple of pieces per person you'll need about 700gms - 1kg

lythande1, Apr 27, 1:01am
I'd do the salmon on little crusty bread rounds, or on pastry rounds. Posher.

nzl99, Apr 27, 3:37am
YUM!

Make the little blinis with a bit of chopped parsely, chives, spread on a little creamcheese with lemon zest mixed in, top with a curl of smoked salmon and a little ground black pepper...

I'd not make the fish too small at all... one fillet per person, seasoned eggwash, into herby seasoned bread crumbs (only the once) and lightly sauteed in evoo... serve with fresh lime wedges and that's a gorgeous and incredibly simple meal.

valentino, Apr 27, 4:07am
Got to be careful though, if you only do a few to satisfy certain ones but one will find that most would dive in for those fishy treats........ you may need to do a fair bit, one item that does go well is those salmon mixed with cream cheese rolls, one can heaps of these.
Others are mini fish spring rolls, crab sticks in bread rolls with a nice touch of some mayo or seasoned sauce.....

Perhaps mini fish in baked bread pies with a potato topping with a hint of grated cheese.

Hopes this helps.

Cheers

sting9, Apr 27, 5:32am
My guests are Pescatarian, I had to look it up, they Abstain from eating animal flesh with the exception of fish..so we learn something every day!
Thanks for your feed back.I have also vegetarians coming so the tapas need to be very varied. I am doing 2 veggi 2 meat and 2 fish then small finger sweet.It is only a lunch, well sort of all day, but don't want to be cooking all day.I'm pretty well set for everything, but the fish thing has me foxed as I hate fish, so its the tough one for me.I thought piklets were the easy option for the salmon do you think thats a bitho hum? If I do little bread things wont they go soft? I like you idea of lemon in the cream cheese willdefinitely do that.

beaker59, Apr 27, 6:04am
Salmon on pikelets is the new posh and fine IMO yeah the bread things do go a little soft under the fish but not a bad thing actually nice to me.

kuaka, Apr 27, 8:15am
sting - thanks for that.My son only eats fish, but I didn't realise there was a posh word to describe him - he always refers to himself as a "semi-vegetarian", meaning he eats only vegetables plus fish.Pescatarian sounds much better.No actually, I think it sounds a bit rude!