Alright who has the best Mince Pie Recipe????

shoptillidrop1, Apr 27, 12:07am
I want to make Mince Pie for Mr Shop tonight and need the best recipe....... any help would be much appreciated!

shoptillidrop1, Apr 27, 4:14am
Bump for me..... otherwise we'll be forced to eat 2 minute noodles!!!!!

fisher, Apr 27, 11:58am
Mince Pie
Preheat oven to 190 c
Ingredients:
600g - 700g mince..2 beef oxo cubes..1 large onion finely diced..1 tsp marmite/vegemite..2tbsp of cornflour..Water..1/2 cup frozen peas..
1 cup small precooked carrot pieces..1-3 dashes of Worcestershire sauce..salt and pepper..
Method:
Place the thawed mince in a medium saucepan and cover with water..Boil, stir and break up finely until mince is cooked through..Drain well
Add fresh water to cover the cooked mince and add the onions, marmite and oxo cubes..Stir well and cook until the onions are soft adding salt and pepper to taste. Add the frozen peas and precooked carrots to the pot, mix in.
Take the cornflour and add to 1/4 cup of warm water..stir until smooth..add this to the pot and stir and cook until thickened...
Pour this mixture into a pre prepared pie dish lined with puff pastry..Cover the top with pastry, crimp the edges and brush with milk..
Prick the top and bake at 190c for 30 mins or until crust is lightly browned
Variations:
Add mashed potato for the top with a sprinkle of paprika..
Add mashed potato and grated cheese for the top with a sprinkle of paprika

tinkagirl, Apr 27, 4:25pm
yummmmm will try that this weekend...

wron, Apr 28, 2:02am
FIsher, do you bother with making pastry or just buy the squares and keep handy in the freezer? After reading your recipe I'm cooking up some mince today for a pie!

iriegirl, Apr 28, 4:43am
This is our fav, 800g lamb mince in a medium sized pot with one large diced onion, 2 diced carrots and one heaped tablespoon of bisto gravy mix, just cover with water and bring to the boil. Simmer approx 20 minutes then add one packet of brown onion gravy mix and simmer another 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Line a greased pie pan with enough puff pastry to cover up sides and slightly over edges, around 1 inch over. Pour in cooled filling, then top with another piece of pastry, trimming the sides to fit. Brush top of pie with a mixture of beaten egg and a little milk, then bake at 190 C for 30 to 40 minutes or until golden brown. To add a little extra, you can add 1/2 3/4 cup of grated cheese before you put its "lid" on. And for the ultimate pie meal, serve with potato mashed with butter, cream and sliced spring onion, peas and a nice rich gravy! Comfort food mmmmm!

motorbo, Apr 28, 6:55am
none here to wow u, but gosh a homemade mince pie is just about as good as simple comfort food gets!!!!

fisher, Apr 28, 10:13am
wron... both... depends on what the day brings and how lazy I feel...
Nothing wrong with the store bought pastry...softens quickly out of the freezer..
I render down pork crackle to get "clean" lard.. and get crackle for my effort:}

Homemade Flaky Pastry
Plain sifted flour
pinch salt
butter or margarine and lard mixed (prefer butter)
squeeze lemon juice (the secret)
cold water

beware : there is a long process to putting it all together tho...