Midwinter Christmas Baking Ideas

gracey_lain, Apr 24, 9:34pm
Hi Guys. I need some help and Google isn't coming forth! We're holding a Hottest Home Baker competition at work, and the next theme is Midwinter Christmas (oddly enough that was my suggestion!), and I am totally stuck for ideas. I am quite a good baker, but am coming up with some very blank ideas, apart from truffles and shortbread. Does anyone have any "blow the judges away" ideas?

kiwibubbles, Apr 24, 9:37pm
oooooooh............. you need to go to the bookshop and look through the christmas themed cook books for ideas... Nigellas one is a good one.

kiwibubbles, Apr 24, 9:37pm
fruit mince that is

ceila, Apr 24, 9:37pm
What I am still waiting for autumn to happen still 20+c degrees here

gracey_lain, Apr 24, 9:46pm
MM, fruit mince pies, I like it! I have a few Christmas Cookbooks here, but nothing is really jumping out as something great. I won last week's challenge so expectations are now high!!

kiwitrish, Apr 24, 10:30pm
I bet a few others will make mince pies. How about making a gingerbread house.

gracey_lain, Apr 24, 10:44pm
I made a gingerbread house a couple of months ago (i have this wicked mould to make them) as a farewell to one of the staff (who wanted a gingerbread house, lol)... so that is a bit predictable. I did wonder about making one though with the windows cut out and a candle inside...

pickles7, Apr 24, 10:45pm
Yule log , would be fun to make.Chocolate Truffles

angelbaby69nz, Apr 24, 10:55pm
is it a finger food event, cook on site, sit down meal???

gracey_lain, Apr 24, 11:38pm
Well, it has to be baking and made at home, presented at work. Marks for presentation, taste, appearance/texture and relation to the theme. As an example the last theme was chocolate, mostly there were cakes, brownie and muffins there. But I want to be more creative than just something obviously Christmas!

olwen, Apr 24, 11:46pm
A truffle tower would be impressive.Maybe 3 flavours of truffle with white, milk and dark chocolate.Decorate with holly or the like.

Or perhaps european style christmas cookies, or stollen (a christmas loaf with marzipan inside)

elliehen, Apr 24, 11:59pm
A cupcake Christmas tree.

olwen, Apr 25, 12:52am
x1
Mini fruitcakes with icing and decorated with cherries and/or silver balls.

angela137, Apr 25, 7:08am
Anyone want to buy christmas decorations, hats, placements and candels I have a lot I want to gt rid of- please see my listings!

angela137, Apr 25, 7:10am
A free standing gingerbread/cookie tree - cut it out of gingercookie mix just as you would a cardboard one and slot it together once the biscut is baked- decorate with white icing silver balls and golden star.You culd even make marzipan pressents for under the tree...!!!!!!!

olwen, Apr 25, 7:39am
I once visited one of the better suites on a luxury cruise ship on Boxing Day.There was an exquisite gingerbread house in the suite.About 2 feet each way.

gracey_lain, Apr 25, 9:34pm
Hi Guys. I need some help and Google isn't coming forth! We're holding a Hottest Home Baker competition at work, and the next theme is Midwinter Christmas (oddly enough that was my suggestion!), and I am totally stuck for ideas. I am quite a good baker, but am coming up with some very blank ideas, apart from truffles and shortbread. Does anyone have any "blow the judges away" ideas!

kiwibubbles, Apr 25, 9:37pm
oooooooh. you need to go to the bookshop and look through the christmas themed cook books for ideas. Nigellas one is a good one.

kiwibubbles, Apr 25, 9:37pm
what about some mince pies!

gracey_lain, Apr 25, 9:46pm
MM, fruit mince pies, I like it! I have a few Christmas Cookbooks here, but nothing is really jumping out as something great. I won last week's challenge so expectations are now high!

gracey_lain, Apr 25, 10:44pm
I made a gingerbread house a couple of months ago (i have this wicked mould to make them) as a farewell to one of the staff (who wanted a gingerbread house, lol). so that is a bit predictable. I did wonder about making one though with the windows cut out and a candle inside.

angelbaby69nz, Apr 25, 10:55pm
is it a finger food event, cook on site, sit down meal!

angela137, Apr 26, 7:10am
A free standing gingerbread/cookie tree - cut it out of gingercookie mix just as you would a cardboard one and slot it together once the biscut is baked- decorate with white icing silver balls and golden star.You culd even make marzipan pressents for under the tree.!