Ladies..your ideas appreciated! 21st bthday

marleybonz, Apr 23, 8:47am
for my daughter.we are having it at a private room at a bar.around 50-70 guests.All ages. bar offering platters for $26ea..for 6 to 7 people.fried stuff like samosas,wedges,club sammies. We want to do our own food.(they r a bit expensive)I dont want a supper at the end of evening but continuous plates going round. Please any ideas ..I will write them all down!!

pickles7, Apr 23, 8:59am
You will need to enquire if you are permitted to provide your own foods. A lot of places that have catering facilities will not allow food to be served that was not prepared on site. This is due to the health regulations and the reputation of the venue.

marleybonz, Apr 23, 9:58am
we can bring our own food.They will heat it.They charge a service fee.

kiwibubbles, Apr 23, 10:20am
sausage rolls, mini savoury pies, pigs on horseback, club sandwiches, mini croissants.... could make several pizzasand cut them up.... vol au vants... you can also buy those mini bread slices - could top them with chicken and cranberry, or salami and brie, or cream cheese and salmon. You may also want to have sweet finger food such as meringues, fruit kebabs, cupcakes

melford, Apr 23, 10:24am
I would do platters containing brie cheese and camembert, green grapes, red grapes,stuffed olives, black olives, sliced danish salami, poppyseed cheese biscuits, several different kinds of dips, chips, american dates (the huge ones) stuffed with blue vein cheese then plates of club sandwiches, frend bread sticks cut on an angle and spread withcream cheese and then on one side spread basil pesto and on the other side red capsicum pestso and plates of sausage rolls and cheerios.

pickles7, Apr 23, 11:07am
cool.

alewis, Apr 23, 11:40am
I would do minibuns with ham - if you have boys they eat - girls dont tend to eat as much as the boys do.
for my daughters 21st we did upmarket finger food, bilinis with salmon, eye fillet steak with juice on toasted french bread, loads of mini buns, some with pastrami with brie, ham with mustard and camembert, alcohol soaking food is what you are after

kiwibubbles, Apr 23, 9:54pm
you could also get some flat bread, and put fillings in them, roll them up and cut them up (sorta like sushi) hope i'm making sense......... lol
actually sushi is another good option

macandrosie, Apr 24, 12:53am
just had our sons 21st last weekend! Lots of rugby boys there. I was determined to have it a bit nicer than a "feed", but that didn't work, wanted crostinis, wi salmon & cream cheese, tried camabert, pestos, nice dips, they never touched them. It helps to know the crowd you're inviting.The most popular thing for the blokes was chicken nibbles, cheerios, & savouries/ sausage rolls. A few sammys, nothing sweet, (this worked for us anyway) I was trying to help counteract the amountof alcohol consumed!

iriegirl, Apr 24, 1:19am
Here's a fab idea http://www.cheeseshop.co.nz/cake.html
I've been getting cheese from them for quite a while and waiting for an excuse to get a "cheese" cake!

pickles7, Apr 24, 1:23am
nice lol.

alewis, Apr 24, 1:55am
bowls of M and M's and someone does need to keep taking the food to them, and talking them into eating - I was determined to get food into them so it soaked up any acholol - mind you ours was a cocktail party.

marleybonz, Apr 24, 8:47am
for my daughter.we are having it at a private room at a bar.around 50-70 guests.All ages. bar offering platters for $26ea.for 6 to 7 people.fried stuff like samosas,wedges,club sammies. We want to do our own food.(they r a bit expensive)I dont want a supper at the end of evening but continuous plates going round. Please any ideas .I will write them all down!

kiwibubbles, Apr 24, 10:20am
sausage rolls, mini savoury pies, pigs on horseback, club sandwiches, mini croissants. could make several pizzasand cut them up. vol au vants. you can also buy those mini bread slices - could top them with chicken and cranberry, or salami and brie, or cream cheese and salmon. You may also want to have sweet finger food such as meringues, fruit kebabs, cupcakes

kiwibubbles, Apr 24, 9:54pm
you could also get some flat bread, and put fillings in them, roll them up and cut them up (sorta like sushi) hope i'm making sense. lol
actually sushi is another good option

macandrosie, Apr 25, 12:53am
just had our sons 21st last weekend! Lots of rugby boys there. I was determined to have it a bit nicer than a "feed", but that didn't work, wanted crostinis, wi salmon & cream cheese, tried camabert, pestos, nice dips, they never touched them. It helps to know the crowd you're inviting.The most popular thing for the blokes was chicken nibbles, cheerios, & savouries/ sausage rolls. A few sammys, nothing sweet, (this worked for us anyway) I was trying to help counteract the amountof alcohol consumed!

iriegirl, Apr 25, 1:19am
Here's a fab idea http://www.cheeseshop.co.nz/cake.html
I've been getting cheese from them for quite a while and waiting for an excuse to get a "cheese" cake!

alewis, Apr 25, 1:55am
bowls of M and M's and someone does need to keep taking the food to them, and talking them into eating - I was determined to get food into them so it soaked up any acholol - mind you ours was a cocktail party.

lynneandella, Apr 25, 6:45am
I agree about going too fancy as often young people won't eat it - I would go for mini spring rolls with sweet chilli dipping sauce, mini quiches, good ole cheerios and sauce, asparagus rolls, pikelets with cream cheese and salmon, mini meatballs with dipping sauce, club sandwiches etc - if you are having the food taken around then send it in four "waves" of food and also have some food that is out all the time - mini fish and chips is cool too - get some large sheets of cardboard and paste newspaper onto them - let dry and then cut semi circles and roll into cones and tape with clear tape - then fill with fresh hot chips and fish bits with a tiny little container of tartare and one of tomato sauce - these are easy to serve if you use the bottom of an egg tray - paint it then cut crosses so you can poke the end of the cone through them - looks really effective and great to get people that are drinking feed

lynneandella, Apr 26, 6:45am
I agree about going too fancy as often young people won't eat it - I would go for mini spring rolls with sweet chilli dipping sauce, mini quiches, good ole cheerios and sauce, asparagus rolls, pikelets with cream cheese and salmon, mini meatballs with dipping sauce, club sandwiches etc - if you are having the food taken around then send it in four "waves" of food and also have some food that is out all the time - mini fish and chips is cool too - get some large sheets of cardboard and paste newspaper onto them - let dry and then cut semi circles and roll into cones and tape with clear tape - then fill with fresh hot chips and fish bits with a tiny little container of tartare and one of tomato sauce - these are easy to serve if you use the bottom of an egg tray - paint it then cut crosses so you can poke the end of the cone through them - looks really effective and great to get people that are drinking feed