Could you share your favorite Sophie gray recipe?

Page 1 / 3
kiwipossum, Apr 22, 6:08am
Hi all can I be cheeky and ask you all to share you favorite
Recipes from sophie gray cookbooks? When I moved to Australia the movers missed the cookbook drawer and I really miss her books the most!

motorbo, Apr 22, 6:14am
its stunning made gluten free too

New method for Dana's chocolate cake - no food mix 2 Years ago
Heat oven tp 180 degrees C.

Beat together

100 g melted butter, 2 eggs, 1 1/2 cups sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 1/2 cups milk.

Sift together 1 1/3 cups flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda - NOT BAKING POWDER. and 2/3 cups cocoa.

Mix these dry ingredients into wet mixture. It is possible to do all this using a hand beater or just a spoon as the batter is quite thin. The cake will rise a lot.

Bake 40 - 50 minutes.

FILLING/ICING

Mix 100 g soft butter, 250g icing sugar, 1/3 cup icing sugar until combinded. Add 1/3 cup cream and enough milk to make a thick, soft spreadable icing.

Slice cake horizontally. Fill with icing or jam. Ice whole cake with remaining icing.

kiwipossum, Apr 22, 6:16am
Oh thank you I remember that cake delicious!!

toadfish, Apr 22, 6:17am
Sophie Gray’s Chicken & Couscous
From the Sophie Gray book called Enjoy. Note from Sophie: If I am making this dish I skin the drumsticks by gripping the skin with a paper towel and pulling it of like a stocking. I then drizzle the pan with some olive oil. Its healthier than fat from the chicken.

Serves 4.

8 chicken drumsticks
½ onion,
3 cloves garlic crushed,
1 tsp dried thyme,
1 parsnip,
1 potato cut into chunks,
1 small Swede,
kumara, or chunk pumpkin cubed,
2 large carrots cut chunky,
2 cups stock or water and powder stock,
2 tsp olive oil optional,
1 cup frozen veg,
1 ½ cups couscous.

Pre heat oven to 180c Place drumsticks into a large roasting pan add onion, garlic, thyme and all veggies except the frozen mixed veg. Bake for 20 mins stirring at least once then pour in stock and oil (if using ) and continue cooking another 20 mins. Sprinkle in frozen veg and couscous, give the pan a bit of a mix so the couscous come in contact with the liquid which it will absorb scrape all the crispy bits of the sides if you are serving on a platter Cooks tips::: you can add more stock if it seems to dry before adding the couscous or try a splash of white wine, Different herbs such as rosemary or oregano can be used. This can be eaten hot or cold.

kiwipossum, Apr 22, 6:23am
Thank you that sounds amazing!!
Skinless is the only way to eat drumsticks!! I thought
I wa the only one lol

charlieb2, Apr 22, 6:26am
kiwipossum, try using the search facility on the left side of the trade me page.Type in Sophie Gray and use the 'anytime' for date posted and you will find heaps of threads come up and you may be able to find your favourites.Also, she does have some recipes on her website.

motorbo, Apr 22, 6:30am
i used to make her flatbreads all the time too but sorry i dont have the recipe

lindylambchops1, Apr 22, 7:20am
Link for flat breads recipe Destitute Gourmet Sophie Gray

http://www.destitutegourmet.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=18&Itemid=38

greerg, Apr 22, 7:28am
PORK AND CRISPY BACON LOAF 1 medium onion diced, ¼ teasp black pepper, 2 cloves garlic crushed, ¼ cup milk, 2 tbspns oil, 1 teasp mustard powder, 4 slices white bread crumbled, 1-2 teasp sage, 1 egg, 500 grams pork mince, 1 teasp salt, 6 rashers bacon with rind removed, 1 medium onion diced, 2 cloves garlic crushed, 2 tbspns oil, 4 slices white bread crumbled, 1 egg, 1 teasp salt, ¼ teasp black pepper, ¼ cup milk, 1 teasp mustard powder, 1-2 teasp sage, 500 grams pork mince, 6 rashers bacon with rind removed:Preheat oven to 200o C.Saute onions and garlic in oil till soft and set aside.Mix all ingredients except pork and bacon thoroughly then add pork.Mix thoroughly.Spread bacon slices on lightly oiled baking paper side by side then from a loaf of the pork mixture down the centre.Wrap bacon slices firmly over loaf and press firmly into shape by wrapping baking paper tightly round.Carefully invert into baking dish removing paper.Bake for 40 mins or until juices run clear.

kiwipossum, Apr 22, 8:31am
THANKS THE FLAT BREADS LOOK GREAT
AND THAT PORK LOAF WAS ONE OF MY FAVS!!
oops:)

lindylambchops1, Apr 22, 8:34am
Icing...should the 1/3 cup icing sugar actually be cocoa?

beagle12, Apr 22, 9:19am
Seared with Mustart Crust.I use fillet or porterhouse.Score it across both sides.Rub in garlic and canola oil and leave to stand.Just before cooking rub in brown sugar and wholegrain mustard.Fry on a very high heat.Serve over buttery mash with other veges.mmmmmm

winnie15, Apr 22, 11:56am
yup i've just checked the recipe and it's 1/3 c cocoa

winnie15, Apr 22, 12:01pm
Dana's Chocolate Cake/cupcakes

You know this recipe already, but you might not know that it makes great cupcakes
It cuts neatly and freezes well too.

Preheat oven to 180°C

1 2/3 cups flour
1½ cups sugar
2/3 cup cocoa powder
1 ½ tsp baking soda – yes baking soda! (see cooks tips)
1 tsp salt
1½ cups of trim milk
100 g melted butter
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

Pour into the prepared patty cake cases and bake until firm and springy, this will depend on the size of the cases but probably at least 20 minutes.

Classic Chocolate Frosting
250 g icing sugar
100 g butter
1/3 cup cocoa
1 tsp vanilla
milk to mix

Place butter and dry ingredients in processor, pulse to combine then add a dash of milk and pulse again, continue until you achieve a soft spreadable icing then add vanilla.

duckmoon, Apr 22, 12:15pm
she has a webpage...
think it includes the recipes

245sam, Apr 22, 11:49pm
kiwipossum, I was away from home before, during and after Easter last year so didn't see your request for Sophie's recipes then - do you still want/need her recipes especially the lentil bolognaise, etc. or have you sourced them from elsewhere or found some alternatives that you are happy with!:-))

earthangel4, Apr 23, 1:23am
yum thank you ,I can turn this recipe into a gluten free one as well.

chchgurl, Apr 23, 2:39am
Does anyone have her Baked Bean and Sausage recipe! TIA :)

245sam, Apr 23, 3:12am
This one, chchgurl!

Sophie's BEAN AND SAUSAGE CASSEROLE
This recipe maximises the lovely sausage flavour while using only a few sausages.If you want to reduce the fat in sausages, boil them before you brown them.

3 good flavoursome sausages
1 onion, chopped
2 big carrots, chopped
1 tbsp flour
1 x 400g can baked beans
1 cup beef stock
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp wholegrain mustard
salt and pepper

Heat a frying pan until very hot, prick the sausages all over and fry them quickly until browned.Rrmove the sausages and set aside.
Sauté the onion and carrots until the onion is golden, stir in the flour and then add the baked beans.Stir well and add the stock, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar and mustard.
Slice the sausages and return them to the pan.Season to taste and simmer until the sauce has thickened and sausages are cooked through.
Serve with buttery mash and green vegetables.
Serves 4.:-))

kiwipossum, Apr 23, 3:24am
thanks everyone, i have been on her site not many recipes.
id love the curried chickpea parcels one if someone wouldnt mind?
it was from one of her first two books:)

marcs, Apr 23, 3:43am
OK now it has my attention. Which ones of her books are good. I can buy them off fishpond because I live in Auz as well.

elliehen, Apr 23, 4:04am
The Destitute Gourmet

geldof, Apr 23, 4:27am
Curried Vegetable Puff Tarts

1 tbsp oil
1 clove garlic crushed
1 onion, chopped
1 cup cooked chick peas
4 cups mixed vegetables
2tsp curry powder
1 1/2 tsp garam masala
pinch of cayenne pepper
400gm tin of lite evap milk
1 tin of water
1 heaped tbsp cornflour
frozen puff pastry sheets
poppy seeds

In a large frypan heat the oil and saute the garlic and onion until softAdd the chickpeas, prepared veges and spices and stir-fry for 2-3min, taking care the spices don't burn.
Pour in the evap milk and water, and simmer until the veges are soft and the sauce is reduced.If the curry is very liquid when cooked turn up the heat to reduce the liquid further and thicken with cornflour.
leave to cool
divide pastry sheets into quarters.Brush around the edges with water and put a spoonful of mixture onto each quarter.pull the corners into the middle andpinch along joins to form raised seams.Brush with milk and sprinkle with poppy seeds.
Bake at 210 C until golden and puffed.

kiwipossum, Apr 23, 4:49am
thank you!!

gardie, Apr 23, 4:57am
This the one of my two favourite from her first book.The second is Smart Chilli.It was a couple of years before my two teenage children realised they were eating lentils instead of mince.If they can be fooled, anyone can - even husbands!