Best fish for mornay dish?

febes1, Apr 20, 11:28pm
I would normally use crayfish but as I dont have a lotto payment going into my account anytime soon...
I want to make a nice dish for the family coming for dinner tomorrow night (they dont eat meat on GF so will be fish)..I thought a mornay type recipe would be better than boring old crumbed fillets & I dont need to be so fussy with portions if we end up with extras.

Please note I'm in Oz so Kahawhai is off the list of options.

pussy01, Apr 20, 11:42pm
i would think monk fish would be perfect..white firm texture....i think aussie's call them flathead

febes1, Apr 20, 11:47pm
Thanks pussy01 I will check that out tonight!I may also have a look at the salmon they seem to have a bit of that around ..I would love to do a true seafood mornay but my D.I.L is pregnant so need to avoid any shellfish ..better to be safe than sorry.

bearskin, Apr 21, 12:18am
Hoki? Monkfish? Blue Moki?

fisher, Apr 21, 1:25am
Febes.. what about fish parcels... long foil folded and then slivers of butter.
Place a portion of fish on top of each butter sliver.. now some white pepper, sprinkle of salt and a squeeze of lemon juice... a slice of lemon on each portion and then add some parsley and dill weedfold the parcel up and into oven for 12 mins and then turn for another 12 mins.. Just make a parcel for each person. Bream snapper any white fish will do...I make rice with turmeric added and then stir in some par cooked peas...Nice yellow colour with green, looks good on the plate.. Can make a tower with a mold and the cooked fish to the side....make another side dish of your choice...

cookessentials, Apr 21, 1:45am
I've got three cray in the freezer. DH has a lovely client who is a fisherman and he drops them off to us from time to time...we are very lucky because they cost us nothing.

febes1, Apr 21, 2:47am
YUM fisher they sound divine! ..you certainly live up to your name :)

cookessentials, Apr 21, 3:04am
You get some of the BESt seafood...like those beautiful Crystal Bay prawns. Moreton Bay Bugs, Banana prawns, yabbie/red claw.

febes1, Apr 21, 3:16am
Heheh Yes I know the prawns are getting bought tonight & @ $13/kg they are cheap as!
I love the fruit over here too.
It's only the charter boat & fresh B.O.I crayfish of my past life that I miss occasionally!
(Of course my friends too *waves to Kuaka*)

beaker59, Apr 21, 3:53am
They have Kahawai there Febes but they call them Australian Salmon funny on a charter when the Aussies catch them and swoon all over the place while the Kiwi's moan not another Kahawai. I like the Whiting over there awesome for that sort of dish or even good old Flake :)

Louise says Hi

cookessentials, Apr 21, 4:07am
You cant beat those mangoes