Lemon Chutney Recipe or Similar wanted Please

dalkemade, Apr 20, 11:15pm
Would like to help a Levin friend who has a tree full of lemons and wants to use them. She does not want to preserve them or freeze juice. A savoury recipe would be great and perhaps a curd one too.

cookessentials, Apr 20, 11:29pm
I have peach and lemon chutney recipe.

jessie981, Apr 20, 11:29pm
cpmpliments of buzzy
LEMON PICKLE
3 Lemons - washed and thinly sliced
1 small Onion -finely sliced
2 tspns Vegetable Oil
1 tspn Salt
1 tspn Chilli Flakes,
¾ cup Caster Sugar,
1 cup White Wine Vinegar
Method
1 Blanch lemons three times in pots of boiling water
2 In a heavy based pot on low heat, sweat the onions until transparent
3 Add chilli and cook for 3 minutes being careful not to let it brown
4 Add lemon, sugar and vinegar, bring to the boil and gently cook for 1/2 hour until syrupy
5 Pour into sterilised jars
6 Makes around 400-500 mls (I think)

buzzy110 (63 ) 5:45 pm, Mon 30 Aug #5

:

cookessentials, Apr 20, 11:30pm
Processor Lemon Marmalade

500glemons
1.5 cups water
660gsugar

Quarter lemons, discard seeds. Chop lemons finely in processor or blender. Place into deep dish with water, cook in microwave on HIGH 10 minutes or until lemon rind is tender. Stir in sugar, cook on HIGH 18 minutes or until jam jells when tested on cold saucer; stir occasionally during cooking. Stand 5 minutes before pouring into hot sterilised jars, seal when cold.

Makes about 2 cups

dalkemade, Apr 20, 11:35pm
Thank you cookessentials and jessie981 for your fast help. Could I please have that peach and lemon chutney recipe too please

cookessentials, Apr 20, 11:44pm
PEACH AND LEMON CHUTNEY
6 black peppercorns
4 small dried red chillies
2 cloves
1 cinnamon stick
750g pitted,chopped peaches
3 medium onions,chopped
2 cups soft brown sugar, firmly packed
2 cups malt vinegar
1 cup sultanas
3 tsp grated fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tsp grated lemon rind
1/4 cup lemon juice.

Tie peppercorns,chillies,cloves and cinnamon stick in a piece of muslin. Combinemuslin bag, peaches, onions, sugar, vinegar,sultanas,ginger,garlic-
, rind and juice in a large saucepan. Stir over heat, without boiling until sugar is dissolved. Bring to boil, simmer, uncovered,stirring occasionally for about 1 1/2 hours or until mixture is thick. Discard muslin bag and pour into hot,sterilised jars; seal when cold. Makes about 4 cups.

iriegirl, Apr 21, 1:21am
Cooks, the chutney sounds delish! If you didn't have fresh peaches could you use tinned?

cookessentials, Apr 21, 1:30am
I dont know iriegirl. I have only ever done it with fresh and I would say that that would be the better option.

iriegirl, Apr 21, 5:06am
Thanks for that cooks, off on Saturday to find some nice peaches, anyone know anywhere to get some decent ones in Christchurch?

jessie981, Apr 21, 5:30am
Probably best to give Funky Pumpkin, Raeward & ask their prices. Bet they're not cheap in the Supermarkets (if any)

chinju, Apr 21, 8:04am
Have you tried preserved lemons? Great for so many recipes. Just, top tail, quarter, layer with salt, squish in a sealable jar, tightly, top with lemon juice. leave for 3 weeks min. Top up as used with oil. Should last chilled and sealed in fridge about 2-3 years. Flavour only increases. A base for many recipes.

dalkemade, Apr 21, 10:52pm
Thanks Chinju. i dont think she wants to preserve them but I will be using your recipe, sounds good and easy.

iriegirl, Apr 22, 1:21am
Cooks, the chutney sounds delish! If you didn't have fresh peaches could you use tinned!

iriegirl, Apr 22, 2:20am
Thanks Jessie981, currently 7.95 at Countdown but don't look too flash!

darlingmole, Apr 22, 2:58am
Has your friend thought about freezing and bagging them for when she feels like having lemon?I like to make my family Lemon Honey (have 2 recipes for this, both are good), then there's lemon meringue pie, lemon rice pudding, lemon chicken, lemon for the inevitable winter lurgy that comes around ... just a thought

iriegirl, Apr 22, 5:06am
Thanks for that cooks, off on Saturday to find some nice peaches, anyone know anywhere to get some decent ones in Christchurch!

jessie981, Apr 22, 5:30am
Probably best to give Funky Pumpkin, Raeward & ask their prices. Bet they're not cheap in the Supermarkets (if any)

chinju, Apr 22, 8:04am
Have you tried preserved lemons! Great for so many recipes. Just, top tail, quarter, layer with salt, squish in a sealable jar, tightly, top with lemon juice. leave for 3 weeks min. Top up as used with oil. Should last chilled and sealed in fridge about 2-3 years. Flavour only increases. A base for many recipes.

dalkemade, Apr 22, 8:23am
Thanks Darlingmole. Could we please have your lemon rice pudding recipe.

iriegirl, Apr 23, 2:20am
Thanks Jessie981, currently 7.95 at Countdown but don't look too flash!

darlingmole, Apr 23, 2:58am
Has your friend thought about freezing and bagging them for when she feels like having lemon!I like to make my family Lemon Honey (have 2 recipes for this, both are good), then there's lemon meringue pie, lemon rice pudding, lemon chicken, lemon for the inevitable winter lurgy that comes around . just a thought

dalkemade, Apr 24, 3:35am
Bumping for any more recipes.