Porridge in the crockpot...

vem, Apr 19, 4:25am
with winter coming on I thought I might give it a go for the weekends.Can anyone point me in the direction of a foolproof recipe that includes cooking times etc.....TIA...

margyr, Apr 19, 4:38am
heres one from an old thread; I use the following recipe all the time. This is from Joan Bishop Crockpot book.

11/4 cups rolled oats, 3 cups water,1/4 teasp salt. Put all ingredients in a bowl and put into crockpot on a trivet or upturned saucer. Put lid on pot and cook on low overnight. Stir well befor serving.
Somtimes I add any of the following: sultanas or chopped dates and nuts. Chopped apple and 1/2 teasp cinnamon

Edited by nauru at 10:38 pm, Wed 14 Jul
nauru (106 )10:36 pm, Wed 14 Jul #14

margyr, Apr 19, 4:41am
and another one; We always cook ours this way. It cooks wholegrain oats properly.
(I wouldn't bother with it for rolled oats),

I use 1 cup of wholegrain oats to 2 1/2 cups of water and a pinch of salt. Sometimes I add a couple of Tbsp ground almonds in place of same measure of oats, or some sultanas.
I cook my oats in a covered pyrex dish up on a trivet inside the slowcooker - filled to halfway up the pyrex dish with water. Slow setting switched on just before bed and switched off as soon as we get up (and up to an hour before we eat) makes it perfect!
millymolly_mtb (8 )4:04 pm, Sat 8 May #7