Guacamole (sp) recipe

bronglen, Mar 12, 11:33pm
anyone got a simple guacamole recipe. I don't have a lot of herbs or spices, but could get a few from supermarket. Thanks.

babytears, Mar 12, 11:35pm
I use:

1/2 Red onion diced finely
2 avo
1/4 tub sour cream
Dollop mayo
salt n pepper to taste

mash avo, then add other bits mix well... ... ... yum!

you could add chilli sauce if wanted

karenz, Mar 12, 11:43pm
I think the nicest one is the simplest, just mash up your avocados and add fresh lemonjuice, the amount depends on the amount of avocados, a splash of tabasco sauce (chilli sauce) and salt, when I am in a hurry I use dried onion and garlic flakes but you can also grate some fresh onion, red or white but red is milder, and also a small amount of garlic crushed to a paste, but leave this out if there are people who object to raw garlic. You could possibly use sweet chilli sauce if you don't have tabasco and want a milder taste. You don't need herbs.

mvo, Mar 12, 11:59pm
We like this one in our house... it is based on an Alton Brown recipe

• 3 Haas avocados, halved, seeded and peeled
• 1 lemon or lime, juiced
• ½teaspoon salt
• ½ teaspoon ground cumin or a little more, to taste
• ½ teaspoon Tabasco sauce
• ½ medium red or brown onion, finely diced
• 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• Ground black or white pepper to taste
Method
1. In a large bowl place the scooped avocado pulp and lime juice, toss to coat.
2. Add the salt, cumin, and Tabasco sauce.
3. Using a potato masher or fork, mash.
4. Then, fold in the onions, tomatoes, and garlic.
5. Add pepper to taste.
6. Test for balance of flavours.
7. Let sit in fridge for 1 hour and then serve.

andrea1978, Mar 13, 6:49am
I use lemon juice (or lime if you can get it! ), ground cumin, kaitaia fire (to taste - i like quite a bit! ), red onion, spring onion, fresh coriander (this is ESSENTIAL in my opinion and even my mum who doesn't like coriander likes it in my guacamole! ), salt and pepper. I'm not a fan of garlic or tomatoes in guacamole but each to their own.

aw217, Mar 13, 10:09am
3 avocodo
1 tbsp lemon juice
lots of salt and pepper
1-2 cloves crushed garlic
2-3 tbsn sweet chilli sauce
150 g sour cream
mash with a forkyummmm! can adjust the quantities to your taste.

coralsnake, Mar 13, 10:35am
Real Mexican Guacamole
Makes 3 cups (about 4-5 servings)

3 ripe [preferably Hass] avocados
½ medium white onion, chopped fine
1 clove garlic (if you like it), chopped fine
1 fresh Serrano chile, seeded, deveined and minced fine*
2 Tbls. fresh cilantro, chopped fine
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 tsp. fresh lime juice
½ tsp. salt (more or less to taste)

Put the chopped onion, garlic, cilantro and serrano into a molcajete or bowl and mash together with a mortar or the back of a heavy spoon until the juices mix and they begin to form a paste.

Cut the avocados in half and scoop the flesh out with a spoon into the bowl in big chunks.
Mix well, mashing the avocado slightly but not until it's a pasty puree. The mixture should still be chunky.

Gently mix in the finely diced tomatoes, lime juice and salt to taste. Stir to mix well.

Serve on chips or, better yet, on home-made totopes--the thick, hand-cut tortilla chips common all over Mexico. In Mexico, guacamole is also commonly served to pile onto steaks, tacos, fajitas, carnitas or spread on bread in place of mayonnaise in a sandwich.

*: Start with one small serrano then test for hotness. If you like your guacamole fiery, add more. If fresh serrano chiles are not available in your area, you can substitute fresh jalapenos, but the flavor will be slightly different.

Never make guacamole in advance. Avocado discolors quickly on contact with air. You can mix up the first ingredients a few hours in advance if you like, but wait to add the avocado and later ingredients until just before serving.

Black Bean Guacamole
5 avocados, diced
3 spring onions chopped
2 limes, juiced
1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
1 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
salt and pepper to taste

Place avocados, spring onions and lime juice into a large bowl.
Mash avocados to a coarse puree.
Stir in tomatoes, cilantro and beans.
Season with salt and pepper.
Serve immediately with assorted dippers such as toasted whole wheat pita bread triangles or multi-grain tortilla chips.
... ... ... ... . .
Guacamole made with sour cream is an no-no!

jamjars05, Mar 13, 10:49am
for 3 avocadosvery finely ice a small onion, finely chop a small bunch of coriander (say. . a tablesppon when done), peel and de-seed two medium tomatos.

mush up avocados and add 2/3 of tomato and 1/2 of onion add
couple of pinches of salt. mix well and add juice of a lime and coriander.
taste
add more onion and tomato as you feel to balance flavours.

don't shag about with spices and garlic and chillies and stuff, you want a bright clean flavour that is predominately avocado.

lara222, Mar 13, 11:06am
if you put one of the avo pip's in your guacamole it will stop it from going brown

shrug, Mar 15, 3:39am
ok so cilantro, I see it used alot on Iron chef and other cooking programmes. What is it?

jmonster, Mar 15, 5:02am
cilantro is coriander

shrug, Mar 17, 6:38am
ohhh ok thanks! ! ! !