Can you cook a shoulder of pork in a CP?

vivvie41, Apr 16, 11:30pm
Crock pot?

Just wondering if it will cook nice and tender like when cooked in an oven. I always cook it in the oven with fluid, eg. milk/water covered. when cooked I slide the fat off and crisp it up. So yummy. Just wondering if the joint was cooked in a CP would the meat be more moist and tender?

dannyboy24, Apr 16, 11:33pm
i do them in my slowcooker. just the pork with a pouch of kantong stir fry sauce over it (any flavour) 8-9 hours and its great. insanely tender and it just falls to pieces

vivvie41, Apr 16, 11:57pm
Excellent! Into the pot she goes with some garlic and sage leaves poked in here and there, salt and freshly ground black pepper and a little water. Fingers crossed..! Thanks Dannyboy.

beaker59, Apr 17, 1:40am
It will be good for sure though in this house all pork shoulder roasts are done in the kettle BBQ over charcoal now that is really spectacular.

vivvie41, Apr 18, 7:55am
Beaker, it has been raining here for 5 days solid. Not a hope of cooking anything on charcoal here I'm afraid. Sounds so delish though and something I might try in the summer. Where exactly do I get a kettle BBQ though...?

Just wanted to say that the pork was wonderful, probably as good as in the oven but without having to check the fluid level by opening tin foil. The crackling was terrific once peeled from the joint and crisped up in acast iron pan. Cooking in the CP made it a lot simpler.

beaker59, Apr 18, 8:24am
Sounds good its great when it all works out EH!

My Ketttle is a 22" Webber you can get them from BBQ factory or similar outlets there are cheaper copies that work well but don't last as long. Good for std BBQing though I have a gas one as well as when we have a BBQ there are rarely less than 20 people here the Kettle though is used for roast pork the biggest shoulder you can get is great also big roast chickens They come out crispy and smoky and the skin is the colour of mahogany. But biggest use for the kettle here is for smoking fish or meats or homemade sausages etc they are the best smoker short of a proper cold smoke house.

paddypf, Apr 18, 9:23am
I agree breaker I brought my Weber back from Oz 16 yrs ago after having it for yrs there and always use it for pork roasts, can't be beaten. Do you cook yours time per kilo or just throw it in and give it 2-1/2 to 3hrs depending on size of roast. Have you roasted spuds on rack over drip pan? Great.

ferrit47, Apr 20, 2:39am
Beaker Happy Easter to you & Your Wife Louwise.If you ever down in Rotorua It would be great to see you both. Havent seen you since we all had Breakie at Novotel that time.

beaker59, Apr 20, 9:07am
I tend to allow 4 hrs for a really big roast and then for a smaller one the 2 to 3 hours longer slower is best also fattiest biggest roast also best (the fat cooks out but seems to give best result) never tried the spuds thing as generally do that inside in the main oven but will look into it as sounds good.

Yeah Ferrit we seldom get down your way these days though would be good to catch up one day. That time we met was nearly 6 yrs ago you know, my how time flies EH!