Gluten Free I know there is an other thread

ceila, Apr 16, 9:50pm
But the other thread is soooo long and I just need some advise
I have a 9 year old that has just been diagnosis and he won't eat the Gluten free foods.He loves 2 minute noodles, sandwiches etc I have explained these are the things making him sick, but he dry wrenches when he eat gluten free things.What can I do????

bedazzledjewels, Apr 16, 10:11pm
One option is to give up trying to find substitutes and just cut out everything with flour,cereals and grains in it. Work with the other foods he likes - fruit, eggs, meats, dairy etc. The less processed foods you feed him, the easier it'll be for you to find gluten-free.
That's just one option - others will have ideas for you too. Good luck.

onenana, Apr 16, 11:04pm
You could start out with some things that aren't obviously gluten free yet appeal to kids.
I wouldn't even bother telling him they are gluten free (it maybe mind over matter). Pancakes and/or pikelets come to mind. Both of those can be either used savoury or sweet. I just used any recipe but changed the flour for GF flour & added about a teasp of oil so they wouldn't come out dry.
I do know, when I first started eating GF some of the things you buy already made from the supermarket (like cakes) are revolting. Dry and tasteless.
GF pasta is also rather tasteless but when using it you can just add more seasonings (herbs) than you would normaly.
I also substitute ordinary milk for soya milk in all recipies.
I'm no expert, and I'm not totally Gluten Free so there will be people on here that know a lot more about it than I do.

shelley39, Apr 17, 2:27am
I have been GF for about 6 months and found it really hard. Bakeworks have a nice wholemeal bread that tastes just like normal bread.Watties creamed corn and Heinz baked beans are gluten free.Make your own biscuits and cakes, they are much nicer.

davidt4, Apr 17, 4:49am
Good advice.It's much easier, cheaper and better for you to eat natural unprocessed foods, rather than contriving substitutes.Once you get over the initial mind shift it's not as difficult as you might fear..

pom-pom, Apr 17, 6:12am
Hey Celia. I suggest you do read some of the other threads as there is a bit to learn. Try searching 'gluten free' last 7 days in the tool on the left of the message board. You will see you're not alone (my nine year old diagnosed last week!) and Rabbit and I have been having a discusion which you may find helpful under 'Sick child please help thread'. PLUS I suggest you have a look at the attcahed website. It lists ALL gluten free products available in NZ. Did you know that Oak baked beans are GF but Watties aren't. I have just found this out from the list and will double check ingredients when next in Woolworths. There are some surprises which might be useful to you.
http://www.mfd.co.nz

pommyjohn1, Apr 17, 8:40pm
Yummi do a cup of 2 minute noodles but they are not always easy to find Pak and Save sometimes have them.

motorbo, Apr 17, 9:28pm
i agree with others dont try to use substitues...but in saying that this is a recipe i got off here for piklets - they are delish and i dont feel like im having gluten free, from memory its one cup of flour, any type of gluten free, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, add milk to get right consistency, then fry spoonfuls

ceila, Apr 18, 5:35am
Thanks for the info
Cheers

seano7, Apr 18, 10:27am
Hi I have a company that makes slices and food that is gluten free. Frillys gluten free treats on facebook. I make chocolate caramel slice, brownies ginger crunch and afghans and cheescakes. I am a pastry chef and was told I had coeliacs disease 3 years ago. So i started making food I missed and came up with those so far.

irishdymonz, Apr 19, 2:13am
Keep experimenting, please lol.I can make those things you listed, but getting a half decent pastry would be bliss!I use the Bakel's pastry mix for making a quiche pastry and that's pretty yummy, but making one from scratch is a challenge.