Fish batter

raewyn64, Apr 16, 4:29am
Hi
I have some fish for dinner and want to do a sort of fish and chips but don't want to deep fry the fish. Have s tovetop frypan and would like to just cook it in very little oil.Can anyone give me some suggestions please?I know I can coat it in breadcrumbs but would like to try just a sort of batter like the shops use if I can but not suer because of dry frying.
Thanks so much in advance

rainrain1, Apr 16, 4:41am
just make a batter with flour water, have about 1/3 cup oil in pan, heat and test with a bit of the batter, then cook fish one side, then turn to the other

raewyn64, Apr 16, 5:05am
thanks so much rainrain - and yes that is what is happening here at the moment too lol :) (rain, rain and more rain)

raewyn64, Apr 16, 7:16am
rainrain it worked out perfectly, thanks so much for your advise. I used a mix of flour, bp, water and a little vinegar someone suggested on another thread and then as you advised added enough oil just to get about 5mm on the bottom of the pan and it cooked up perfectly. Was better than the store bought ones as it wasn't deep fried. And then did some potato wedges with sour cream - just a great dinner.

rainrain1, Apr 16, 7:27am
Pleased as punch for you, my mans going to cook my tea tonight...can't guarantee a thing, cause he's a lousy cook.Anyway it was my idea and I promised not to complain.......but then again......