Can you use an oven bag in an easy cook?

lisant, Apr 15, 11:09pm
x1
I always cook my chicken in an oven bag but not sure if it can be used in an easy cook?? Thanks

effcee1, Apr 15, 11:13pm
Cant see why not, but wonder why you would want to do that. I cook a chook in the easy cook about once a fortnight , stuff a potatoe & onion in it & it always comes out nice & moist, the only benifit would be that it would keep the bowl clean.

andrew499, Apr 15, 11:20pm
Toatally agree with Effcee1 here.I've never used oven bags, but the Easycook is a breeze to clean with its wash setting anyway.
Cheers

lisant, Apr 15, 11:23pm
Thanks. Never used one before, just bought one yesterday for a gift so was unsure :)

andrew499, Apr 15, 11:28pm
Easycook ovens really are great.I wouldn't like to be without my one now.That alongside my microwave/convection make meal preparation a breeze for me.
Cheers

buzzy110, Apr 15, 11:30pm
Yes lisant you can. I use oven bags to cook chickens all the time. the major advantage of this is that you get a whole lot of rich and tasty chicken 'stock' saved up in the bag which would otherwise just evaporate away, leaving only the fat.

I then drain the stock into a jug, tip off a lot of the fat and use the semi defatted stock for making the sauce. If you do not wish to use all of it, you then have some lovely stock left over to add to other dishes you may wish to make with the leftovers.

There are no dried bits or parts in your chicken either using the bag.

You can throw peeled pickling onions into the bag as well and the come out perfect.

I usually cook my chickens at about 180 to 200C for about 1:10. If using a large bird, add an extra 5 minutes. Cook for 35 mins then throw in your root vegetables for baking all around or balance another rack on top of the cooking chicken and put them on that. I usually rub them in oil. You can also rub them in oil, crushed rosemary and garlic with sea salt.

The disadvantage - well only the part that remains out of the stock looks roasted. The part that ends up sitting in the stock looks 'boiled' but I do not see that as a huge problem. The chicken is always melt-in-your-mouth tender and perfectly cooked.

So use your oven bag. Not all meats should be cooked in a bag. Sometimes if I want the stock I put roasts in a bag, seal, put on the lowest rack and then rip the whole bag open along the top. That way I get the best of both worlds.