Pressure cooking

pickles7, Apr 11, 7:46am
Anyone still use pressure cookers..??.. I picked one up today for $3.00. Looks as if it hasn't even been used.

olwen, Apr 11, 8:13am
I use mine for curries.It's a little like a deep frypan.I got the idea from these two delightful ladies.

http://showmethecurry.com/

the.griff, Apr 11, 8:17am
We bought one from Briscoes last year, Prestige brand, its great and we used it all winter and now ready to use it again.

andrew499, Apr 11, 8:37am
I recently bought a tefal electric pressure cooker.So far, it's great.I cooked the best caserole I've ever done in it the other night and am looking forward to trying all sorts of other things in it.
cheers

pickles7, Apr 11, 8:47am
This is a Prestige, one....griff.... Should have a bit of fun with it, I recon....olwen ... yours looks rather low. I think I will be able to bottle fish, in the one I got.

elliehen, Apr 11, 12:52pm
pickles I have got an old 109 page recipe book for Presto Pressure cookers made in England.It appears to have recipes in it for everything you could possibly imagine, including 16 recipes for different kinds of fish - and Pigsfeet and Creamed Calf's Head in the meat section...shudder.....

I can put up a 50 cent auction for anyone interested.

olwen, Apr 11, 8:17pm
I was looking for a low one.You can saute in it as well.

elliehen, Apr 12, 12:02am
I've also been given a 32-page instruction booklet, "How to Cook the Prestige Way" for fundraising.If anyone is interested I can list both books together for a modest Buy Now.

crystalmoon, Apr 12, 2:05am
Hi ellie,I'd be intersted in those cookbooks? Have had a pressure cooker,older style given too me a year ago and it has just sat in the cupboard as I wasnt sure how to use it.Will check back later on here to see if there still available.Cheers

elliehen, Apr 12, 5:05am
crystalmoon - done.Remember to hit the Buy Now not the bid :)

socram, Apr 12, 6:09am
Can't beat a Pressure Cooker for an authentic steak and kidney pud (suet pastry) or the basics of any veg soup using bacon bones or a ham hock.

crystalmoon - the basics are simple. Leave off the weight and make sure thefluid level isn't too high, but won't boil away either! Put on the lid - with the rubber ring. Place on high heat until steam comes out in a steady plume. Put on the weight.When the pressure builds up and starts to make a noise/escape, turn the heat down very low and start your timing.(For stewing steaks etc., probably about 20 - 25 minutes.

Remove from heat and hold the cooker under the cold water tap (or leave to cool) and then gradually lift the weight and keep doing it until no more pressure.It is then safe to remove the lid - BUT NOT BEFORE!Best get the instruction book as older cookers hada three part weight, later ones make do with a single weight,

A steamed pud at 20-25 mins rather than 1.5 hours says it all really -especially on a low heat.Fast and economical.

pickles7, Apr 13, 7:54am
....socram.... Sure cuts the cooking time down. . I must say I will cook a few more meat dishes in it, before I make up my mind to keep or sell it. We are supposed to be down sizing, lol. I cooked a neck chop and veg meal tonight, and was most impressed. 20 minutes all up.

olwen, Apr 13, 8:39am
My mother used to cook the cabbage for 20 minutes in the pressure cooker.

pickles7, Apr 13, 10:22am
yummmmmmm, lol.
Would there be anything left to tell you it was cabbage, once. ?

valentino, Apr 14, 5:39am
Great for cooking the blazes out of "Brussel Sprouts", try it, far better than just boiling them when served up, put a dob of butter on top to melt through.

pickles7, Apr 14, 6:46am
They should be at there best soon....valentino....It is one veg I do like well cooked.

pods, Apr 14, 7:21am
I have an old Zeb pressure cooker anduse it all the time and prefer it to the slow cooker. I have had mine for over 25 years and also got my mothers one off her for our holiday home as I was always taking mine with me all the time.

elliehen, Apr 14, 7:23am
crystalmoon - if you decide not to follow through, I'll relist them after close of auction with full description and photos for allcomers.Cheers.

pickles7, Apr 16, 2:06am
can someone tell me if I can have a pressure gauge put onto my pressure cooker, if so who would be able to do this for me. thanks..

nfh1, Apr 16, 2:12am
They scare me - big hissing things.My Mum had one when I was a child!

pickles7, Apr 16, 3:02am
yes they are scary, some people use them every day. I was told of a lady scraping food off her ceiling, the first time she used hers. lol. hope it never happens to me.

nfh1, Apr 16, 4:06am
Oh wow - even more scary!

schnauzer11, Apr 16, 12:55pm
Don't be scared Picles.Socram's instructions are correct.It's the de-pressuring that scares people-just run under the cold water as S.says,then lift the weight.NO risk of a ceiling situation!You can make the most awesome meals from cheaper cuts of meat,in such a short time.Have fun!

lindylambchops1, Apr 17, 1:24am
I have just ordered the Breville Fast Slow Pressure Cooker.I always used to use a pressure cooker when I was first married when both of us were working.I Have been using the Slow Cooker but find the meat never quite tender enough.Thanks for your tips here.Can't wait to try them out.Happy Pressure & Slow Cooking!