Non fail HotXBun recipe wanted 4 breadmaker.

Page 1 / 3
bullock123, Apr 11, 6:56am
Does anybody have a non failrecipe for hotxbuns inthe breadmaker please.
Thanks.

lizab, Apr 11, 7:56am
this is what I have been using for the last few years and I promise they are yumm!! Into the breadpan put one and half cups of tepid water, 1 tbsp oil (or a knob of butter), 3 heaped cups of plain flour, 1 tsp salt, 1 dsp sugar, 2 tbsp milk powder (optional), 1 tbsp surebake yeast (red lid), 1 slightly heaped tbsp each of cinnamon and mixed spice. Set the machine to dough. After 15/20 mins, add a heaped cup of raisins and then leave the machine until the dough is done. Shape into 12 balls, put into a greased roasting pan and leave, covered with a teatowel until doubled in size. Pre-heat oven to fanbake 200*. Brush tops with beaten egg and then bake for 20 mins. I'm still looking for a perfect 'x' recipe for the tops of the 'hot x buns', but have read on another thread tonight, that you can pipe a 'x' on after they're cooked with icing, or almond paste. Good luck :)

lizab, Apr 12, 7:56am
this is what I have been using for the last few years and I promise they are yumm! Into the breadpan put one and half cups of tepid water, 1 tbsp oil (or a knob of butter), 3 heaped cups of plain flour, 1 tsp salt, 1 dsp sugar, 2 tbsp milk powder (optional), 1 tbsp surebake yeast (red lid), 1 slightly heaped tbsp each of cinnamon and mixed spice. Set the machine to dough. After 15/20 mins, add a heaped cup of raisins and then leave the machine until the dough is done. Shape into 12 balls, put into a greased roasting pan and leave, covered with a teatowel until doubled in size. Pre-heat oven to fanbake 200*. Brush tops with beaten egg and then bake for 20 mins. I'm still looking for a perfect 'x' recipe for the tops of the 'hot x buns', but have read on another thread tonight, that you can pipe a 'x' on after they're cooked with icing, or almond paste. Good luck :)

propagator, Apr 13, 2:50am
Thanks for your recipe lizab.I have been trying for 30+ years to make hot cross buns, both by hand and machine.Yesterday I made your recipe and this is the first time I have had success.Most recipes come up short with spices but these were delicious.I also added about 1 tbsp mixed peel.I might add that my crosses weren't that flash.I think the batter could have been a bit thin,but I will know for next time.Hope my next batch turn out as well!!Thanks again.

solo2, Apr 13, 4:02am
OMG I have to try this one too ! Thanks :)

lizab, Apr 13, 4:38am
Thank you - that's a lovely post to read propagator. I'm very glad they were a success for you (especially after waiting over 30 years!!!!!):)

propagator, Apr 14, 2:50am
Thanks for your recipe lizab.I have been trying for 30+ years to make hot cross buns, both by hand and machine.Yesterday I made your recipe and this is the first time I have had success.Most recipes come up short with spices but these were delicious.I also added about 1 tbsp mixed peel.I might add that my crosses weren't that flash.I think the batter could have been a bit thin,but I will know for next time.Hope my next batch turn out as well!Thanks again.

lizab, Apr 14, 4:38am
Thank you - that's a lovely post to read propagator. I'm very glad they were a success for you (especially after waiting over 30 years!):)

buster31, Apr 15, 10:37am
Hi LizaB, I made your hotxbun recipe today, they came out huge and delicious!I swapped raisins for sultanas, also added 1/4 c mixed peel and instead of brushing with egg, once they were cooked I glazed them with a mixture of water, cinnamon & mixed spice.I also made the cross using just flour & water.They came out a little too brown on top for my liking, so next time I would cook for probably only 15 mins.

Thanks for a great recipe.

buster31, Apr 15, 10:39am
I also put them in the car to rise as you suggested under a different thread.Took about 1 1/2 hours to rise, but boy did they rise!What a great tip.

lizab, Apr 15, 10:45pm
great stuff buster31 :)I must make a couple of batches myself this weekend!! The weather is very wet here in the King Country this morning - perfect for baking!!

rozke, Apr 16, 1:38am
l will be making my own this year.l tried the ones in the bakery and they feel like a lump of uncooked dough.Thanks for the recipes and tips.Cheers

lilyfield, Apr 16, 8:49am
mine are in the oven at the moment and look and smell fantastic. For the crosses i mixed a slurry of flour-a bit sugar- milkpowder and water and piped them on after the eggwash. Looking great.

thanks for the perfect recipe.

nzl99, Apr 16, 9:13pm
Ohhhhhh... anyone have any advice if 'fruit mince mix' would be OK to use in them...?Has sultanas, rasins, currants, lemon and orange peel... should be fine... it's not minced mince (if that makes sense) still whole pieces.

lizab, Apr 16, 10:45pm
great stuff buster31 :)I must make a couple of batches myself this weekend! The weather is very wet here in the King Country this morning - perfect for baking!

lilyfield, Apr 17, 12:18am
it will be perfect and very tasty indeed,nzl99
i have the secondlot proofing. have added lemon zest and almond essence

nzl99, Apr 17, 12:25am
Thanks lily.I'm going to throw some fresh orange zest in and add some dark ghana choc chopped up. :P

glynsmum, Apr 17, 2:09am
Oh I have started a new thread I needn't have done how I failed even this receipe
I hope someone can help or I'll be buying again this year

lilyfield, Apr 17, 2:22am
glynsmum- for you to have failproof buns and breads you need to learn and understand the art of yeast baking. Any bread maker will successfully knead your dough if the consistency is right, as it is with this recipe. But if your yeast is old- no go- if the the proofing time is too short- no go-. If you do not let the dough rise long enough after last punchdown- or the place for rising was too hot- failure. . I quite often mix in the dried fruit by hand to make sure the paddle does not break the fruit into wee pieces. I suggest you read and watch videos about yeast dough handling.you need to develop a feel for the dough- not just blindly follow recipes. quite often something needs just a tad more water or another spoon of flour. Its all in the feel.
spoken after 50 years of bread baking and still learning.

glynsmum, Apr 17, 2:34am
Thankyou lillyfield I have not done a lot of yeast baking so I guess i leave it to the experts at 70 I guess I cant learn new tricks but love these threads, Thanks

nzl99, Apr 17, 9:13pm
Ohhhhhh. anyone have any advice if 'fruit mince mix' would be OK to use in them.!Has sultanas, rasins, currants, lemon and orange peel. should be fine. it's not minced mince (if that makes sense) still whole pieces.

nzl99, Apr 18, 12:25am
Thanks lily.I'm going to throw some fresh orange zest in and add some dark ghana choc chopped up. :P

glynsmum, Apr 18, 2:09am
Oh I have started a new thread I needn't have done how I failed even this receipe
I hope someone can help or I'll be buying again this year

bullock123, Apr 18, 6:51am
Thanks for the recipe PERFECT hot cross buns.Made the crosses out of butter flour and water and glazed with strained marmalade as I didnt have any apricot jam.
I will defineatly be making these again thanks for the recipe.

julzienz, Apr 18, 7:36am
Would I be able to make the first recipe with chocolate chips instead of fruit? My household is fussy and don't like fruit, but do like the spiceyness of the buns! + chocolate. Thanks