Cook top , induction or just ceramic

smh63, Apr 11, 5:05am
ok putting in new oven , and want your opinion on what cook top to get , there is a $600 price difference bettween the 2 Im looking at , so who has an induction cook top , and do you like it , or would you stick with standard ceramic.

kay141, Apr 11, 5:10am
Have you checked your saucepans are suitable for induction? I gather not all are and you might need to buy new ones.

smh63, Apr 11, 5:17am
I have not yet , but will do, not sure what typw I'm meant to have

lilyfield, Apr 11, 5:40am
I have cooked on induction- a dream come true. Just fabulous to work on. Sorry that my cooker does not need replacing yet.

kay141, Apr 11, 5:41am
I'm not sure either but I read about it somewhere. Try Google, might help.

smh63, Apr 11, 5:50am
my pots are suitable for halogen cook tops , I wonder if thats the same, will keep googling lol

smh63, Apr 11, 6:48am
anyone else got one

cookessentials, Apr 11, 7:00am
all you need to do is get a magnet. if it sticks to the underneath of your pans, they are induction suitable. The house we bought has a ceramic cooktop...thsi is not something I would ever choose as it scratches. I have a heavy Le Crueset casserole, which I do use on the ceramic top, however, i have to be very carefiul. My choice is an electric stove and a gas hob ( you can run on a bottle if required) I Find the gas very efficient .

malcovy, Apr 11, 7:09am
Never again will I have a ceramic cooktop :-)

smh63, Apr 11, 7:15am
I already have a ceramic top , but we putting in a new kitchen , love the top , but wondering whether to upgruade now to induction

katalin2, Apr 11, 7:52am
We have built a new house which was finished at the end of last year- did quite a lot of research and talked to friends with new kitchens. Settled on an induction hob- and love it. Hardly need a microwave as it is so fast- much faster than gas. Ok for preserving too as have 10 heat settings so goes much lower than my gas hob did. The modern tops don't seem to be as sensitive as the old ones- have spilt sugar and other sticky things and they just wipe off, even if you don't notice it straight away. My mum's old French enamelled iron pots and fry pans work fine- and I bought a cheap set of pots from Briscoes at 60% off thinking I would replace them when I could afford to- in fact they work just fine. We bought a 70cm Electrolux, because it is the only one with elements that criss cross so if you have the front 2 or back 2 turned on, you can put 3-4 small pots over them or the whole roasting dish to make gravy. Electrolux was one of the ones Consumer recommended- can't remember what the others were. Just make sure a magnet sticks to the bottom of your pots.

smh63, Apr 11, 8:40am
thank you , this is what I needed to know , and thanks for hint on pots, at least now I can test them

katalin2, Apr 11, 8:43am
you are welcome:)

dbab, Apr 12, 12:14am
I'm with katalin.
I've had an induction cooktop for nearly 14 years and wouldn't be without it. In fact, if we ever move house. I'm taking it with me.

persioux, Apr 12, 1:01am
I have had induction for 5 years and love it. Had gas before & wanted gas again when we put the new kitchen in. The salesman showed me how quickly the water boiled on induction & the fact that you can touch the surface even when hot & not get burnt. I .was . sold... Actually I much prefer it to the gas.
I got the Baccarat pots from Briscoes & they are very good.Sold my copper bottom set on here.

smh63, Apr 12, 5:04am
awesome I'm sold , got some new saucepans at Briscoes today 60% to 70% off, so all happy , just need to tell the hubby I spent another $650 today