I have a heap of onions i need to use up..ideas?

tipsy_bl0nde, Apr 11, 12:36am
i have a supermarket bag of onions that im keen to use up or use a good few. was thinking about onion soup. any suggestions?

sarahj1, Apr 11, 12:49am
Caramelise them - Google "onion jam" - or Nigella Lawson's wonderfully named "Onion Mush" - basically you slow cook them until they reduce down to a sticky, caramelly mass - then freeze it in small amounts and add to any dish needing onions for wonderful rich flavour!

cookessentials, Apr 11, 12:53am
Make a nice onion tart or a French onion soup

tipsy_bl0nde, Apr 11, 12:54am
oooh onion mush sounds unusually good. cook you dont happen to have a french onion recipe do you?

245sam, Apr 11, 12:54am
Or alternatively, chop and freeze the onions as is.I haven't personally done this but I believe that juliewn has done so very successfully, simply by freezing the chopped onions in recipe/casserole, etc. lots - I'm not sure if she has free-flow frozen the chopped onions tho'.

Hope that helps.:-))

uli, Apr 11, 3:24am
Onion "cake" - here is a nice recipe which calls for 1kg of onions:

http://joannasfood.blogspot.com/2007/08/pissaladiere.html

cookessentials, Apr 11, 3:50am
French Onion Soup

40g butter
1 tablespoons olive oil
750g brown onions, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 tablespoon plain flour
1 litre of beef stock
125 mls dry white wine
cracked black pepper

To serve
1 small French stick, cut into 1 cm slices
extra olive oil
1/2 cup grated gruyere cheese
2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley

Melt the butter and oil in a large heavy based saucepan. Add onions and allow to cook very slowly, stirring occasionally for about 30-40 minutes on a low heat or until light golden in colour. Sprinkle with the salt and stir in the flour.

Cook out flour for 3 minutes and then stir in the stock and the wine. Bring to the boil and reduce the heat to a slow simmer. Cook for 15 minutes, skimming if necessary.

Preheat the oven to 170C. Drizzle the croutons lightly with olive oil and sprinkle generously with the gruyere. Bake for 15–20 minutes until cheese is melted and croutons are crisp. Serve soup topped with croutons and sprinkled with parsley.

tip For a lower fat version leave out the butter and use 2 tablespoons of olive oil instead. Also, instead of the gruyere cheese use a little parmesan

lx4000, Apr 11, 4:56am
scalloped spuds!mmMmm

thinly slice potato and layer with sliced onions, salt and pepper if wished. Pour milk to cover 1/2 then top with grated cheese and bake till cooked.

You can add other veggies to the layers like pumpkin, silverbeet. I often have corn at the bottom:)

Be mindful that it can over flow!! I have a catchment dish under it:)

jessie981, Apr 11, 5:29am
Recipes from Aunt Daisy
Scalloped Onions
4 large thinly sliced onions
1&1/2c milk
1c crumbs
1/2c flakes
1/4c grated chese
seasoning
1TBSP butter
Melt butter. Add crumbs, cheese & a few chopped walnuts (opt). Mix. Put layers of onion in a dsih, then a layer of crumb mixture. Season each layer. Repeat. Add milk. Cover & bake 90 min. 10 mins before serving remove the lid & spread with flakes & dots of butter & brown.
Onion Cheese Pie
Put buttered bread pressed evenly in a deep pie dish
Filling: 2&1/2c thinly sliced onions
1&1/2c milk
1tsp salt
250gr finely sliced cheese
2TBSP butter
3 slightly beaten eggs
1/4tsp pepper
Fry onions in butter till lightly browned. Place upon thebread base. Heat milk slowly, add to eggs while stirring. Add seasoning & cheese. Reheat & when cheese is melted, pour over onions. Bake in a slow oven 40 -45 mins or until set

deus701, Apr 11, 5:35am
Slice up all the onions, sprinkle some salt and leave for 30mins. The salt will dehydrate the onions and you will notice them shrink. Then cook them off with abit of oil until they turn brown and shrink further. Leave to cool, divide into portions, gladwrap and freeze. When you want to make curries. stews or soups, just take a pack out, defrost and use,.

thats what i would do. Saves time too.

poppy500, Apr 11, 10:55am
Onion bajhis

tipsy_bl0nde, Apr 11, 9:52pm
oooh yup bahjis. and thanks cook for the onion soup recipe will definitely give it ago. I think i will freeze some so its more convenient on the busy dinner nights :)

asue, Apr 11, 10:13pm
crumbed onion rings.Egg coat, savoury crumbs, quick hot deep fry

macandrosie, Apr 15, 7:39am
If they're the brown onion or "pukekohe long keeper" they should last you all winter as they are a good keeper. The red onions don't keep as well.

elliehen, Apr 15, 11:44am
I second that.I buy a 10kg bag of brown onions when the price is right and keep it outside on the verandah in the cool corner all winter.

tjc30, Apr 16, 6:10am
if you have heaps then freeze them . Sliced up they freeze well. I use them in my stirfry from the freezer

rainrain1, Apr 16, 6:15am
Steak eggs and onions?

moore., Apr 17, 12:43am
slice them and freeze them for future use, they freeze fine

nzl99, Apr 17, 12:47am
Give them to meeeee...!I just bought 10 so I can caramelize them this arvo!

Fill little tartlet cases with them, a little square of feta or bleu, a sprig of thyme... then into the oven for a few mins to warm up... phoaaar....

https://www.facebook.com/album.php?fbid=1539006994876&id=1225939081&aid=2072472&l=68bc0cc591

Click on each photo for ingred and method.

macandrosie, Apr 18, 10:14am
why would you freeze onions? they actually 'keep'! all winter in a cool dry place.

tipsy_bl0nde, Apr 18, 7:21pm
hi nzl99 i have added you on facebook. i have seen a few recipes of yours on there. are there many more?

litedelites, Apr 18, 8:05pm
If you have the Allison Holst big red cook book, she has a lovely onion and cheese tart in this.I have made heaps and is delish - even better cold the next day. T

nzl99, Apr 18, 8:15pm
Ahhhh 'twas you!I wish there was a way on FB to add a nickname to someone... would be handy to remember the ones that cross over from TMMB to FB. :PUmmm... there are a few on there now... hopefully be a few more after this weekend.