Masterchef curry episode tonight

Page 1 / 2
wron, Apr 10, 9:51am
Hi everyone, we both dozed off! Who has to go home please and was it close?
Taa.

beaker59, Apr 10, 9:56am
Can't remember his name but it was all over the place really some who thought they were on to it bombed and others who struggled and didn't have a clue struck it lucky. Jax won Cameron was second to last and just squeaked in for a change.

elliehen, Apr 10, 10:01am
Anthony went home and Cameron and Michael squeaked in (bottom three).

charlieb2, Apr 10, 10:36am
I thought that was a fairly tough challenge.No name spices and then the 3 minute grab.....

beaker59, Apr 10, 10:59am
Yeah not as bad as last week but it takes away the masterchef aspect and turns it more towards stuntchef in my opinion.

elliehen, Apr 10, 11:29am
I'm placing bets on Jax.She stays calm, doesn't get thrown when she forgets to grab something from the pantry and always seems to come up with the flavours the judges are looking for.

charlieb2, Apr 10, 9:11pm
I've only watched a couple... but yes, Jax seems to be the one to beat.Last night was impressive, she thought she'd blown it big time after her pantry run, but still came in with all the right dishes and with top marks.

nfh1, Apr 10, 9:25pm
Yes me too - I thought Cameron was the winner earlier but think Jax has the edge.

beaker59, Apr 10, 9:35pm
What amazes me is the basic errors like not seasoning or forgetting basic ingredients these are mistakes I would make surely people at that level this shouldn't be coming into play.

The dude who cooked the great goat curry inspite of not knowing much about making curries basically got that right because he used his head right at the beginning he knew goat would take allot of cooking so started it right at the beginning then worked out the rest which meant he had adequately cooked meat whereas the other lady had the flavours right but hadn't cooked the meat long enough resulting in a poor curry as the meat was tough and inedible.

raewyn64, Apr 10, 10:13pm
Can anyone remember what Jax put in her rice as the judges said it was really great rice.

pheebs1, Apr 10, 10:21pm
tumeric im not sure how much but it looked lovely

beaker59, Apr 10, 10:59pm
It was Tumeric and very little but I think the key thing was the rice was cooked correctly something not easy in a strange kitchen I know I have a favourite vessel water measure and rice measure in my kitchen that works every time but in a strange kitchen its no guarantee that it will be perfect just a good chance. I sometimes do my rice with a pinch of tumeric gives a beautiful colour can't say it does allot for the flavour though.

bedazzledjewels, Apr 10, 11:56pm
This aspect of having a couple of minutes to grab your ingredients from the pantry really annoys me.
Nobody does this in real life - you buy what you need for a recipe. Unless you leave your list at home!

cookessentials, Apr 11, 12:03am
You only need a little turmeric to colour your rice. Just add a little at a time to get the right colour. It is used in place of saffron which is a little pricey. if you want to use saffron, then go ahead, it does make a difference.

elliehen, Apr 11, 12:06am
Don't be annoyed, BJ.Remember it's Entertainment, with an upper case E :)

The producers want the viewers to see the tears and feel the panic.For the genuine cooking programme half of the production watch the judges on Friday night.

taurus2005, Apr 11, 12:26am
How did they know all the names of the curry dishes they were cooking???

alby100, Apr 11, 12:32am
Stay tuned for a Masterclass on how to cook rice this week... Something a average cook should be able to do, something a Masterchef should be able to do sleeping...

This is such a tinpot production of a programming format that is much beeter overseas...

raewyn64, Apr 11, 12:50am
thanks all for the advise on the tumeric - it certainly made the rice look yummy. I have problems flavouring any rice I cook and so am looking for any help I can -I also liked the other lady who used coconut milk in her rice so might try that.

beaker59, Apr 11, 1:07am
Another nice flavouring is a very small splash of fish sauce gives the rice a creamy sl savoury tone. trick with rice is so little flavouring it still tastes like rice.

To cook rice is one thing but perfect rice in a strange kitchen isn't so easy and allot of luck comes into play.

uli, Apr 11, 3:50am
Yes that puts me off too - any chef in real life tries out new recipes and fine tunes them before they end up on the menu - no-one goes and grabs all ingredients in 3 minutes and then cooks up a storm. Not real life at all in my views.

bearskin, Apr 11, 4:31am
They know the names of the curries they are cooking because they really care about cooking and food. The ones who seem to know very little about international food probably won't be winning. Look at Brett last year - he had great knowledge about food worldwide, not just the actual basics of "cooking". I think to be a better-than-average cook you have to have a passion, and that would extend to actively trying as wide a a range of food (both styles and actual produce) as possible. The winner on this show will probably have an extensive food lexicon.

waswoods, Apr 11, 5:57am
You need to check the salt when you cook with turmeric as I usually find that you need a bit more. Sometimes I add a small handful of shredded coconut and that also gives a nice taste

elliehen, Apr 11, 6:03am
Yes, turmeric is really the poor man's saffron.

duckmoon, Apr 11, 6:22am
I love the invention test... but think that it is artiflcal that "you have 3 minutes to get your ingredients...

I know the whole thing is artifical, but 3 minutes is just rediculous

duckmoon, Apr 11, 6:23am
I am missing the elimination challenges which Aussie Masterchef has...

I guess it is about budgets