Jam - why does it never set?

Page 1 / 2
mango5, Apr 7, 10:38pm
When I make jam, it never sets properly.I just can't seem to do it.I follow the recipe but maybe I should just not make it...:(

jag5, Apr 7, 11:06pm
Pectin is what makes jam set.Some fruits have more than others.Apples are the highest I believe with pectin...so I usually pop some in with the other fruit.Otherwise you can buy Kings Jam Setting mix and add that.

Usually have to boil it longer than what recipe says....just keep boiling and testing in a saucer until it does set.

mango5, Apr 8, 12:07am
thanks jag5...fingers crossed for the next batch ayeLOL.

elliehen, Apr 8, 12:30am
Also, fruit for jam-making should not be over-ripe.

bearskin, Apr 8, 12:35am
Just add an apple to everything...

wildflower, Apr 8, 4:11am
I've just done 3 batches of grapefruit marmalade, boiling each one longer than the first to get it to set.The last batch set the best but get this, some jars are set hard and some are soft - same batch!!That lot I boiled 1 hour before putting in jars.So I'm still none the wiser!

glenleigh, Apr 8, 4:14am
I have seen advertisements out for jam sugar - must have pectin in it perhaps.Supposed to be no fail jam making sugar.Made plum jam this year, no problem but some years have to boil forever it seems to get it to set.

ffloss, Apr 8, 4:36am
I also have problems with jam not setting. I have use the jam setting mix and it is quite good but this year I used the Jam Sugar and everything went as it was meant to. It is more expensive than ordinary sugar but I think it is worth it as you don't have to keep boiling (using more power). I was thrilled as all my jams set.

uli, Apr 8, 6:00am
Grapefruit marmalade is usually made in June/July, as by August they are too ripe (nice to eat, but not enough pectin to set) - so I am not sure what sort of citrus you used for that? Did you buy them?

That some jars set and others didn't can be explained by you not stirring the contents of your pot constantly while filling the jars. The stuff at the top and sides of the pot will set much more than the "juicy" middle.

korbo, Apr 8, 9:36am
Have always used the king jam set stuff, but this year it has changed to hansells, and 2 lots of jam just never set. even tho tested in fridge. They have halved the sugar, and the instructions are a bit different. Not sure what to do with my 20 odd jars. may reboil and start again.....
have heard of many older people complaining that jam hasnt been setting, and they have all been jam makers for yonkss.

pickles7, Apr 8, 10:44am
*********jam testing
sugar thermometer test for jam.
Boil until 111 C or 222 f. put jam into hot jars, put the lids on while hot.

********* test for pectin
1 tsp of juice, 3 tsp of methylated spirits. shake gently leave 1 minute, . The juice will clot firmly if there is enough pectin. If it doesn't it may pay to add some.
King..jam setting..mix..pectin base..Handy to have in your pantry.

I usually use equal amount of sugar to the well cooked fruit, and use a sugar thermometer. Jam must be boiled hard. I always use a preserving pan as well. The wide top allows for a good boil, without the jam boiling over, and a better evaporation.

pam56, Apr 8, 10:45am
I find just using Jam sugar as a third of the sugar amount (2 thirds ordinary sugar) works just fine.

pamellie, Apr 8, 11:01pm
Buy a jam thermometer, they aren't too expensive and they take away a lot of the guess work.

rainrain1, Apr 9, 12:38am
make sure you cook it at a good rolling boil the whole time

lythande1, Apr 9, 2:14am
All I do is add 50-50 fruit and jam and the juice of one lemon.
Boil, simmer and test a teaspoon by putting it on a saucer, when it cools, tip it, if it runs, simmer further till it's reduced down more. never use a lid, always an uncovered pot.

wildflower, Apr 9, 3:43am
That's a good idea, makes it more affordable.

I used my last lot of grapefruit to make Harrislucinda's recipe for grapefruit spread this morning instead of making marmalade again, yum:)Didn't have to worry about setting either, it's like lemon honey but with no eggs and a lot less butter.

mango5, Apr 7, 10:38pm
When I make jam, it never sets properly.I just can't seem to do it.I follow the recipe but maybe I should just not make it.:(

jag5, Apr 7, 11:06pm
Pectin is what makes jam set.Some fruits have more than others.Apples are the highest I believe with pectin.so I usually pop some in with the other fruit.Otherwise you can buy Kings Jam Setting mix and add that.

Usually have to boil it longer than what recipe says.just keep boiling and testing in a saucer until it does set.

mango5, Apr 8, 12:07am
thanks jag5.fingers crossed for the next batch ayeLOL.

wildflower, Apr 8, 4:11am
I've just done 3 batches of grapefruit marmalade, boiling each one longer than the first to get it to set.The last batch set the best but get this, some jars are set hard and some are soft - same batch!That lot I boiled 1 hour before putting in jars.So I'm still none the wiser!

ffloss, Apr 8, 4:36am
I also have problems with jam not setting. I have use the jam setting mix and it is quite good but this year I used the Jam Sugar and everything went as it was meant to. It is more expensive than ordinary sugar but I think it is worth it as you don't have to keep boiling (using more power). I was thrilled as all my jams set.

korbo, Apr 8, 9:36am
Have always used the king jam set stuff, but this year it has changed to hansells, and 2 lots of jam just never set. even tho tested in fridge. They have halved the sugar, and the instructions are a bit different. Not sure what to do with my 20 odd jars. may reboil and start again.
have heard of many older people complaining that jam hasnt been setting, and they have all been jam makers for yonkss.

bev00, Apr 8, 10:09am
great tips for failproof jam setting

pheebs1, Apr 8, 10:17am
if i have any that havent set after cooling i just pop them back in the pot and cook a little longer
but i have only done blueberry strawberry and plum and they set quite easily

elliehen, Apr 8, 10:29am
In good time for the new jam-making season.I haven't read through the old posts, but I think it's always a good idea to make jam in small batches.