Lemons in Sugar Syrup

macwood2, Apr 6, 9:40am
Am making a lemon tart and to serve it says decorate with thin slices of lemon cooked in sugar syrup.IS sugar syrup equal quantities of sugar and water?How long would I cook the lemon for?Has anyone done this?

lx4000, Apr 7, 12:47am
For the Meyer lemon syrup
1/2 cup organic sugar
peels of 2 Meyer lemons (or regular lemons) – use vegetable hand peeler and peel zest in strips
3/4 cup Meyer lemon juice (or 1/2 cup regular lemon juice + 1/4 cup water
Step 1: To make the syrup, place the sugar, lemon peels and lemon juice in a small pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 2 minutes until the sugar is dissolved and the liquid slightly thickens. Remove from heat, and let stand in the pan for 15 minutes. Strain syrup in a bowl and keep at room temperature until ready to use.

Try this but using thin slices of lemon:) I have not made this.

245sam, Apr 7, 12:58am
Hi macwood2, I haven't done this myself but here's a recipe that I think may be what you're needing.It was in a 2006 Foodtown mag and is from a recipe for Lemon Coconut Pots which were garnished with candied lemons.

CANDIED LEMONS - slices or rinds
3 Lisbon lemons
water
1 cup white sugar
1 cup caster sugar, optional

Slices: wipe the lemons and slice into 6 or 7 rounds.
Rinds: peel the rind off with a potato peeler and then slice into 2mm wide strips.

Place the slices or strips into a small non-aluminium pan. Cover with water and bring to the boil. Drain, then add 1 cup of fresh cold water and the white sugar. Simmer gently over a medium-low heat until the water has almost evaporated - there should be about 2 tbsp thick sugar syrup left in the pan. N.B Shake the pan or stir only once or twice very gently during this process to avoid damaging the lemon slices. Ensure the sugar syrup does not burn on the base. Remove from the heat before it colours.
If frosting is required, remove the slightly cooled fruit from the syrup. Wearing rubber gloves, coat the fruit in the caster sugar. Place on a sheet of greaseproof paper to dry, preferably overnight. Store, covered, at room temperature.

Hope that helps.:-))

lx4000, Apr 7, 12:59am

macwood2, Apr 7, 9:40am
Am making a lemon tart and to serve it says decorate with thin slices of lemon cooked in sugar syrup.IS sugar syrup equal quantities of sugar and water!How long would I cook the lemon for!Has anyone done this!

lx4000, Apr 7, 10:57am
245sam!! Just checked and didn't see your post between my lat 1 and my 1 before!! I was meaning my last post was better than the post I posted first!! No offense meant!!

245sam, Apr 8, 12:58am
Hi macwood2, I haven't done this myself but here's a recipe that I think may be what you're needing.It was in a 2006 Foodtown mag and is from a recipe for Lemon Coconut Pots which were garnished with candied lemons.

CANDIED LEMONS - slices or rinds
3 Lisbon lemons
water
1 cup white sugar
1 cup caster sugar, optional

Slices: wipe the lemons and slice into 6 or 7 rounds.
Rinds: peel the rind off with a potato peeler and then slice into 2mm wide strips.

Place the slices or strips into a small non-aluminium pan. Cover with water and bring to the boil. Drain, then add 1 cup of fresh cold water and the white sugar. Simmer gently over a medium-low heat until the water has almost evaporated - there should be about 2 tbsp thick sugar syrup left in the pan. N.B Shake the pan or stir only once or twice very gently during this process to avoid damaging the lemon slices. Ensure the sugar syrup does not burn on the base. Remove from the heat before it colours.
If frosting is required, remove the slightly cooled fruit from the syrup. Wearing rubber gloves, coat the fruit in the caster sugar. Place on a sheet of greaseproof paper to dry, preferably overnight. Store, covered, at room temperature.

Hope that helps.:-))

lx4000, Apr 8, 10:57am
245sam! Just checked and didn't see your post between my lat 1 and my 1 before! I was meaning my last post was better than the post I posted first! No offense meant!