Piemakers

madijae, Mar 11, 10:54pm
I am thinking of buying myself a piemaker, but would like to know what people think of them please? Am thinking of having a day of making pies and then having them in the freezer for an easy meal on those nights when we are late home from work or whatever and cannot be bothered cooking... . . would this work? I don't suppose anyone would have a recipe for pastry like Jester's pies would they? ? ? Thanks very much for any replies.

smchkn, Mar 11, 11:07pm
Piemakers are fantatstic! Leftover butter chicken or other casseroles in it... . yum... ...

nzhel, Mar 12, 12:16am
Yes they are really good and the pies come out really nice. The only main problem with them is if you want to make another lot and you are using pastry on the bottoms you have to wait for the pie maker to cool down as the pastry shrinks when you line it from the heat. I was very spoilt and given another one by one of my family so one can cool down while the other lot of pies are cooking. I think they didn't want to miss out on the pie making and plenty of them! !

ruby19, Mar 12, 1:51am
I too think they are great. I admit to being a bit sceptical at first, but was won over quickly. If you are going to buy one try and get the 4 pie version. We use left over curries, roast dinner, using the gravy as the sauce, & chilli. I have made the quiche recipe from the sunbeam cook book, and successfully frozen them. probably use them more in winter as we do have more crockpot style meals.

lisa7, Mar 12, 2:00am
I love my piemaker, I would recommend a 4 pie maker!

kaddiew, Mar 12, 2:00am
I bought mine on a whim after reading how much everyone loved them, but have only used it twice before sticking it in the back of the cupboard. Can't really be bothered fiddling about with it for such small pies, and have gone back to my trusty old toasted sandwich maker.

madijae, Mar 12, 2:21am
Thanks for the replies. Seems there will be a 4-pie piemaker coming to a cupboard near me in the near future! Has anyone got an easy recipe for pastry, or better yet a pastry like Jester's? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

lulu239, Mar 12, 3:40am
I don't know Jesters pies but when the pie maker is used using flakey pastry, the pastry doesn't puff up as it is enclosed, unlike a pie made in the oven. Point being that a recipe used for an oven pie will not come out the same if done in a pie maker. I have one and it is great.

pamellie, Mar 12, 4:19am
I'm not sure what you mean by this cos I know I have to turn mine on to heat up before I use it.

I too would recommend one that makes 4 as they are not large pies and if you are cooking a few it can be a slow process. I usually need at least two per person.

I just use Pam's flakey pastry for my tops and bottoms and it turns out similar to a Jesters pie.

I wouldn't be without mine.

purplegoanna, Mar 12, 4:35am
yip our fav leftover chicken with sliced leftover vege and gravy! mmmm

janny3, Mar 12, 4:52am
Absolutely wonderful way to use up leftovers.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Community/MessageBoard/Messages. asp
x? id=29342

kiwigoldie, Oct 23, 6:50pm
i use bread without crusts in mine... and then filling of ham, egg, cheese, cream corn, onion, tomato or the suchlike... depends on what I feel like at the time... . they are lovely...