Any ideas for mash potatoes.....

Page 1 / 2
happy-me, Apr 5, 5:46am
what can i add to make them tastier???

davidt4, Apr 5, 5:53am
Lots of butter, plenty of salt and pepper, chopped parsley or chives.

ant_sonja, Apr 5, 5:53am
Milk, butter, salt & pepper, nutmeg, fresh chopped herbs (lots - such as chives/parsley) ..that's how I like mine - some cheese stirred through is good too or caramelized onions mixed through.

cottagerose, Apr 5, 5:56am
raw onion or grated cheese

happy-me, Apr 5, 5:57am
Nice thanks....

bleetbleet, Apr 5, 5:57am
both ideas are yummy

jbsouthland, Apr 5, 6:02am
A friend used to poach an egg on top last few mins of cooking..then drain and mash it all up...have never tried it myself...have also heard of marmite added when mashing....raw onion nice....also some olive oil instead of butter can be used.

tarshlove, Apr 5, 6:52am
onion, sour cream, cream, chicken stock, cheese, garlic butter, cottage cheese, ummm these are just i have tried lol

cookessentials, Apr 5, 7:24am
I saute a little diced onion and stir it through, pop it into a shallow dish, rough up the top with a fork and add a little grated cheese on the top and pop it under the grill

fisher, Apr 5, 8:25am
Mashed Potatoes
My FavouriteCut up a small onion and dice finely. Place raw onions in spuds when mashing.
(a) Add half a pkt of maggi onion soup to the potatoes, mash as usual then add 1 tbsp of whole grain mustard and mix thru.
(b) Try olive oil and crushed garlic through your mashed potato instead of butter and milk.
(c) Grated tasty cheese and diced raw onion in mashed potatoes for tasty difference. Or use 2spring onions.
(d) Boil a good size piece of pumpkin with the potatoes..Mash altogether for nice colour and different subtle flavour.
(e) Boil some kumara with the potatoes .. Mash altogether for nice colour and different subtle flavour.
(f) Add silver beet half way through to the potatoes as they cook. Then mash all together.
(g) Add cabbage half way through to the potatoes as they cook. Add black pepper and then mash all together. Ideal with corn beef and mustard sauce
(h) Add 1/2 cup finely chopped parsley while mashing.
(i) Add 2 tbsp of sundried tomatoes and 2 tbsp of chopped basil.
(j) Add 2 rashers of chopped cooked bacon and a dash of tabasco sauce.
(k) Add 1 ~ 2 tbsp each of Thai green curry paste and chopped parsley

socram, Apr 5, 10:40am
Agree with lots of butter - always - and a dash of milk for the basic mash.

Dollop of horse radish...

Cook garlic with the potatoes

Sprig of mint in the boiling water.

charlieb2, Apr 5, 11:09am
Hey fisherman... long time, no see..Hope you and K are all fine!!

fisher, Apr 5, 12:13pm
YuP.. still float around a little... all good up here... hope you progressing down there and all going as well as can be... getting cooler... was down to 22 up here today :}

stomptheyard, Apr 6, 1:37am
Theres a product which you but from supermarkets, brand is McCormicks and its called produce partners, the one we use is Sour Cream and Chives for mashed Potatoes, so yummy.Also add on the tv the other night used Sour Cream and Chives dip that you buy ut of the fridge section at supermarket.

cookessentials, Apr 6, 2:23am
They used to do a beautiful spicy pumpkin mix that you cant get here now...it was delicious.

shop-a-holic, Apr 6, 2:53am
Whack the top off a whole garlic bulb and roast in the oven for around an hour.
When the bulb has cooled a little (it really does get too hot); squeeze it, and the garlic will pop out. It's very sweet, and not garlicky. Add to mash potatoes and use Olive Oil. It's called Skordalia, and very delish.

davebarnett, Apr 6, 3:24am
drizzle with mint sauce...

litedelites, Apr 6, 3:34am
I have a fav new recipe - topped with mushrooms
Cook mushrooms in a little butter and then sirt in balsarmic vinegar and sour cream and put on top of your mashed potato.
If fact typing this I am going to do for tea tonight...
T

happy-me, Apr 6, 5:46am
what can i add to make them tastier!

ant_sonja, Apr 6, 5:53am
Milk, butter, salt & pepper, nutmeg, fresh chopped herbs (lots - such as chives/parsley) .that's how I like mine - some cheese stirred through is good too or caramelized onions mixed through.

happy-me, Apr 6, 5:57am
Nice thanks.

bleetbleet, Apr 6, 5:57am
both ideas are yummy

jbsouthland, Apr 6, 6:02am
A friend used to poach an egg on top last few mins of cooking.then drain and mash it all up.have never tried it myself.have also heard of marmite added when mashing.raw onion nice.also some olive oil instead of butter can be used.

fisher, Apr 6, 8:25am
Mashed Potatoes
My FavouriteCut up a small onion and dice finely. Place raw onions in spuds when mashing.
(a) Add half a pkt of maggi onion soup to the potatoes, mash as usual then add 1 tbsp of whole grain mustard and mix thru.
(b) Try olive oil and crushed garlic through your mashed potato instead of butter and milk.
(c) Grated tasty cheese and diced raw onion in mashed potatoes for tasty difference. Or use 2spring onions.
(d) Boil a good size piece of pumpkin with the potatoes.Mash altogether for nice colour and different subtle flavour.
(e) Boil some kumara with the potatoes . Mash altogether for nice colour and different subtle flavour.
(f) Add silver beet half way through to the potatoes as they cook. Then mash all together.
(g) Add cabbage half way through to the potatoes as they cook. Add black pepper and then mash all together. Ideal with corn beef and mustard sauce
(h) Add 1/2 cup finely chopped parsley while mashing.
(i) Add 2 tbsp of sundried tomatoes and 2 tbsp of chopped basil.
(j) Add 2 rashers of chopped cooked bacon and a dash of tabasco sauce.
(k) Add 1 ~ 2 tbsp each of Thai green curry paste and chopped parsley

socram, Apr 6, 10:40am
Agree with lots of butter - always - and a dash of milk for the basic mash.

Dollop of horse radish.

Cook garlic with the potatoes

Sprig of mint in the boiling water.