Cooking Mincemeat inside a Marrow

naphtha, Apr 4, 6:25am
HI, can anyone help with recipe/s as to how to cook this? Thanks

charlieb2, Apr 4, 7:19am
I just make up something like a bolognaise sauce usually and stuff it with that, Wrap in tinfoil and cook at 180 until the marrow is tender... Mr likes that with cheese sauce!

fisher, Apr 4, 8:27am
Stuffed Zucchini.. Preheat oven to 190 c
Ingredients:
4 medium courgettes..50 grams long grain rice..1 tbsp raisins..4 dried apricots..100gminced beef..1 tbsp pinenuts or flaked almonds..1 small onion.. 1 tbsp freshly chopped parsley..1 tsp freshly chopped mint..salt and pepper..150ml tomato juice..
Method:
Wash the courgettes and cut in half lengthways. Scoop out a hollow along the length of each half using a teaspoon... Retain the flesh from the centre of the courgette and chop very finely.. Stir in the rice. Finely chop the raisins, onion, apricots, and nuts... Add to the mixture with the meat, herbs, and seasonings.
Bind with a teaspoonful of the tomato juice... Mix well together. .Spoon some of the filling mixture over each half courgette, and press well down..
Place the stuffed courgettes in a baking tin or shallow casserole.Pour on the rest of the tomato juice.. or place a layer of cheese on top..Cover with aluminum foil, and bake for 40 minutes..removing foil for last 10 mins...

harrislucinda, Apr 4, 7:10pm
ijustmakeastewandstuffitthenbake

margyr, Apr 4, 8:12pm
haha, I think I have been watching too many extreme eating television shows. I read it like the marrow in a bone, and my mind boggled at #2, i thought yuck. Good ness me it was not till I read fisher's zucchini recipe, that I realised what the first question was. Haha, will giggle about that all day.

kirinesha, Apr 4, 8:15pm
Eggplants can be stuffed the same way.

245sam, Apr 4, 9:11pm
SAVOURY STUFFED MARROW
1 medium-sized vegetable marrow
1 tbsp dripping or oil
1 onion, chopped
340g minced beef
5 tsp flour
150ml beef stock
2 or 3 tomatoes, skinned and chopped
saltandpepper
1 tsp vinegar
50g-60g each offresh breadcrumbsandgrated cheese

Trim off the ends of the marrow, halve it lengthways and scoop out the seeds.If the marrow is too long for your largest saucepan, halve each section across the middle.Put the marrow halves/pieces into boiling salted water and cook them for about 15 minutes until just tender.Drain carefully and as thoroughly as possible – I tip the pieces upside down on to paper towels and allow them to drain that way, then turn them over and fill the hollows with more paper towels.
Meanwhile heat the dripping or oil in a saucepan and fry the onion until it is beginning to brown.Add the minced beef and stir it over the heat until it is browned.Mix in the flour, stock, tomatoes, seasoning and vinegar.Simmer on a very low heat for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally – it should be a very thick mixture - if necessary, stir in some of the breadcrumbs.
Place the marrow halves/pieces in a baking dish, making sure that they sit upright.Fill the marrow hollows with the mince filling.Mix the breadcrumbs and cheese together and sprinkle this topping over the mince filling.Pour a little water around the marrow halves/pieces, then cover the dish loosely with foil.
Bake at190°Cfor 20-30 minutes until heated through – it may be necessary to remove the foil for the last few minutes to allow the breadcrumb/cheese topping to crispen.:-))

naphtha, Apr 5, 6:25am
HI, can anyone help with recipe/s as to how to cook this! Thanks

charlieb2, Apr 5, 7:19am
I just make up something like a bolognaise sauce usually and stuff it with that, Wrap in tinfoil and cook at 180 until the marrow is tender. Mr likes that with cheese sauce!

fisher, Apr 5, 8:27am
Stuffed Zucchini. Preheat oven to 190 c
Ingredients:
4 medium courgettes.50 grams long grain rice.1 tbsp raisins.4 dried apricots.100gminced beef.1 tbsp pinenuts or flaked almonds.1 small onion. 1 tbsp freshly chopped parsley.1 tsp freshly chopped mint.salt and pepper.150ml tomato juice.
Method:
Wash the courgettes and cut in half lengthways. Scoop out a hollow along the length of each half using a teaspoon. Retain the flesh from the centre of the courgette and chop very finely. Stir in the rice. Finely chop the raisins, onion, apricots, and nuts. Add to the mixture with the meat, herbs, and seasonings.
Bind with a teaspoonful of the tomato juice. Mix well together. .Spoon some of the filling mixture over each half courgette, and press well down.
Place the stuffed courgettes in a baking tin or shallow casserole.Pour on the rest of the tomato juice. or place a layer of cheese on top.Cover with aluminum foil, and bake for 40 minutes.removing foil for last 10 mins.

margyr, Apr 5, 8:12pm
haha, I think I have been watching too many extreme eating television shows. I read it like the marrow in a bone, and my mind boggled at #2, i thought yuck. Good ness me it was not till I read fisher's zucchini recipe, that I realised what the first question was. Haha, will giggle about that all day.

naphtha, Apr 6, 4:05am
Thankyou to all who posted recipes. I have printed them and presented them to my wife, and am looking forward to some lovely meals.

eastie3, Apr 6, 7:03am
Mum used to torture the family with this dish,I wonder if I would like it any more now.Even my easy going father would blanch at the news it was on the dinner menu.However we would all choke it down,on pain of being sent to bed hungry,and then face it for breakfast again.Possibly that also included Dad.

PS In those days we always atebig marrow,not the baby ones.When did this change I wonder?

eastie3, Apr 7, 7:03am
Mum used to torture the family with this dish,I wonder if I would like it any more now.Even my easy going father would blanch at the news it was on the dinner menu.However we would all choke it down,on pain of being sent to bed hungry,and then face it for breakfast again.Possibly that also included Dad.

PS In those days we always atebig marrow,not the baby ones.When did this change I wonder!