Cake question

ryanthelion1, Apr 3, 2:45am
Im going to be making a treasure chest cake for my sons pirate party so i will need a rather large cake to have enough for the base, the lid and some extra bits to prop the lid open. Would it be alright if i just double or trippled the cake recipe and cooked it for ages in a big oven tray or would the cake dry out this way? Would i be better off cooking 2 cakes in square cake tins?

nzhel, Apr 3, 2:56am
When I made a treasure chest cake years ago - I just used a loaf tin to cook the cake in as it was the right shape. If you are wanting a large cake tho - I'm not sure how big loaf tins come in.
Good luck with the cake!

ryanthelion1, Apr 3, 3:00am
Ooo thanks thats a good idea!

nzhel, Apr 3, 3:03am
Oh - and I meant to say, I didn't use cake to prop the lid open - that was held open with all the 'treasures' I put inside. For the lid I just cut the top off the cake off a little way down, and iced the whole thing in a lightish coloured chocolate icing, then piped yellow icing around the edges etc for the metal bands on the chest.For the 'treasure' from memory I used foil wrapped coins, a plastic gold necklace, sweets etc. It turned out really well. You could make several cupcakes to put the candles in and decorate and put these around the front of the chest.

tarshlove, Apr 3, 9:16pm
You will have to show us how this come out as I wouldn't mind doing one for my lil nephews 2nd bday

cookessentials, Apr 3, 9:36pm
You can use a iece of thick doweking to hold the lid open, just decraote it with multi coloured ribbon or suchlike. I large loaf pan will do the trick perfectly, make a thick lid( so it does not break and then scoop a little of the cake out and fill. You coud cut the base of the cake in half and fill with a ganache or buttercream filling, then pop the top back on,scoop out a wee bit and fill with sweets ( chocolates, foil coated coins etc)

ryanthelion1, Apr 4, 2:45am
Im going to be making a treasure chest cake for my sons pirate party so i will need a rather large cake to have enough for the base, the lid and some extra bits to prop the lid open. Would it be alright if i just double or trippled the cake recipe and cooked it for ages in a big oven tray or would the cake dry out this way! Would i be better off cooking 2 cakes in square cake tins!

nzhel, Apr 4, 2:56am
When I made a treasure chest cake years ago - I just used a loaf tin to cook the cake in as it was the right shape. If you are wanting a large cake tho - I'm not sure how big loaf tins come in.
Good luck with the cake!

nzhel, Apr 4, 3:03am
Oh - and I meant to say, I didn't use cake to prop the lid open - that was held open with all the 'treasures' I put inside. For the lid I just cut the top off the cake off a little way down, and iced the whole thing in a lightish coloured chocolate icing, then piped yellow icing around the edges etc for the metal bands on the chest.For the 'treasure' from memory I used foil wrapped coins, a plastic gold necklace, sweets etc. It turned out really well. You could make several cupcakes to put the candles in and decorate and put these around the front of the chest.

tarshlove, Apr 4, 9:16pm
You will have to show us how this come out as I wouldn't mind doing one for my lil nephews 2nd bday