Muttonbirds....... The best Way to Cook Them

stevesm8, Apr 2, 11:08pm
x1
Everyone else seems to be sleeping today.
I've just been given a bucket full of muttonbirds, (so lucky), but it's been years since I've cooked them. Can someone please tell me how to do them.
Many thanks

patxyz, Apr 2, 11:11pm
Personally...

Boil 3 times (not a salt fan) then low roast for an hour or so.

rainrain1, Apr 3, 6:26am
just boil them, change water once or twice then gobble up

snowf, Apr 4, 1:56am
hy there i do mine in a pressure cooker put a large onion in with the bird cook for an hour an then eat it lovelycheers snowf

narnas1, Apr 4, 2:00am
From my one and only experience of cooking mutton birds it's a job best done at someone elses place, they pong like hek !!

illusion_, Apr 4, 4:24am
in a pot of water with a rock ..... you know the rest

they are an aquired taste ... it normally takes about 200 years to aquire the taste

bekybiscuit, Aug 3, 8:40am
Sorry this is an old thread.

What do they taste like? Similar to chicken or??

Why do you need to change the water between boiling them?

dec1066, Aug 3, 10:36am
They are salted to preserve them, so you need to remove the saltiness, these are young chicks so are also very fatty. These are birds that are feed on fish, so nothing like chicken - they taste a bit fishy. Definately an aquired taste. I quite like them but only need to eat one once every 5 or so years.

mwood, Aug 3, 11:28am
x1
I put mine in a large pot of cold water with a cut lemon - to cut the salt - and slowly bring to the boil (simmer) then turn off the heat until they are cool - not cold - then freeze them. To cook put them skin side up under the grill to crisp and brown the skin then turn over and broil them gently for 5 minutes or so - keeps the oil in the cavity - to serve turn them right side up - this drains the oil and plate them - serve with steamed greens and wholemeal bread and butter - this is the way we served them in my restaurant as "Roast Titi" - tourists raved about them - and many were familiar with the name Titi and commented they enjoyed them and had alwayswanted to try them.

bekybiscuit, Aug 4, 6:29am
Thanks guys.

I was looking on here about them and did some research about it so am a bit hesitant to buy a whole bucket if it turns out they aren't to my taste :P

anne1955, Aug 4, 7:54am
x1
Bring them through to me in Gore and I'll cook them for you :)Worth a try.the first person that posted after your question had it right boil and change water 3 times then prick with fork open them up and bake on a dry for oil from them so place like a rack ontop of a roasting dish you just need to watch them not needing to really cook to much more rather just a method of getting some fat off them Using an outside barbe keeps the smell out of house but hell I love them so much that even the smell after I've eaten some is great.and as a friend say "Your the wrong colour anne, you suck those bones like the best of us".Waste not want not.yummmy

moggie57, Aug 4, 9:59am
Exactly what my dad used to do.outside with a wee electric rangette!