Homemade hot cross buns using breadmaker...

Page 1 / 3
korbo, Apr 1, 8:57pm
does anyone have a really good tried recipe for making the bun mix in the breadmaker, then cooking them in the oven.
Have bad hands, so kneading is a bit of an issue.

kiwibubbles, Apr 1, 9:24pm
what a coincidence - just trying this for my first time this morning! lol
the dough is mixing in the breadmaker as we speak. I use a recipe from Alison and Simon Holst's new bread recipe book... i'll let ya know how it turns out, in a couple of hours. Mind you' the other day i made the foccacia dough in the breadmaker (also from this recipe book) and baked in the oven.. turned out delicious.

camper18, Apr 1, 9:32pm
Have been making " kinna 45 " spice loaf with great success and am going to use her recipe to make my buns.

sara134, Apr 1, 9:41pm
Could you share this recipe please? :o)

korbo, Apr 2, 2:22am
please yes, share kinna's recipe.

kimkat1, Apr 2, 2:42am
Kinna 45's recipe for spiced loaf..........
Here is the spice loaf. It does have a lot of ingredients, but it makes a big loaf and is yummy, especially for easter. We love it toasted as well.

Spiced loaf with dates and sultanas: 750gm loaf

1 cup plus 2 TBSPS tepid water
3 cups high grade flour
11/2 tsps all spice
11/2 tsps cinnamon
11/2 tsps salt
1 TBSP brown sugar
1 TBSP skim milk powder
1 TBSP light oil
3 tsps sure bake yeast *red cap*
3/4 cup mixed chopped dates and sultanas. (I just prefer straight sultanas)
Select basic, crust medium, or if you don't like it too crusty it can also be cooked on sweet setting, the rising time on sweet setting is longer, and the baking temp is lower which gives a softer outer crust.
*Note when adding the sultanas add in slowly in batches, about 20 mins into the kneading cycle.

found this in another thread.... sounds yummy...

camper18, Apr 2, 2:47am
Sorry just got home from a funeral and saw request.
Kinna 45s SPICE LOAF
1cup + 2 TBS tepid water
3 cups H/G flour
1½ tsp each of salt, cinnamon, & spice
1 TBS brown sugar
1 TBS skim milk pd
3 tsp yeast (red lid )
¾_1 cup sultanas ( add at the beep)
Set b/maker to sweet and take dough out after the last rise, shape into buns, leave to rise again then I would do syrup wash ontop and bake in a hot oven.

harrislucinda, Apr 2, 3:06am
kimkatisthatallspicerightasthoughtthatspicewasforpickling
isitmixed spicethanks

cgvl, Apr 2, 3:17am
I have a recipe for Hot cross buns that uses ground all spice,
I make my own mix
cinamon, cloves, mixed spice, all spice, nutmeg, ginger, mace and aniseed
use only a tiny amount of mace and aniseed as both are very strong spices I usually use about ¼ tsp,
allspice about ½ tsp and more of the others with up to 1Tbsp of cinamon.
I judge by smell and taste.

kimkat1, Apr 2, 7:44am
Thats what it said in another thread, i just copied and pasted it for this thread... will try some myself tomorrow

sara134, Apr 2, 7:59am
Thanks kimkat1 and camper18 , will give this recipe a try :) yum yum

kinna54, Apr 2, 9:30am
Hi Kinna here. yep it is all spice and yep that recipe is fine for hot cross buns.camper 18 has it right, and so pleased that you all like it.

harrislucinda, Apr 2, 11:10pm
kinna54justmakingyourrecipenowwilluplater

cameo36, Apr 3, 2:07am
See how you go with this recipe!

Hot Cross Buns

1/2 C warm milk
1/2 C warm water
1/2 C brown sugar
4 t surebake yeast
75g butter, barely melted
1 egg
1 t salt
4 C high grade flour
1 T mixed spice
1 T cinnamon
1 t ground cloves
1 t vanilla ess
1 C mixed fruit or currants or sultanas

Set all to DOUGH cycle (Add fruit at beep).

Shape dough into balls into sprayed pan.Leave about 1 cm between each one.

Cover with cling film and leave in warm place to double in size.

Bake at 225 degs C for 10-12 mins.

Glaze immediately with syrup of 1 T syrup, 1 T honey, 1 T water.

Tried & True they are delicious!!

harrislucinda, Apr 3, 3:59am
welldidthatrecipeinbread makerundersweet
justturnedoutahunkofcookeddough

kinna54, Apr 3, 5:45am
Heavens what happened: I'm sorry to hear that harrislucinda. Did you make the loaf, or make it into buns and oven finish. It is usually awesome. What brand of breadmaker do you have? That is a breville recipe,on my machine it takes 3hrs 20mins, from start to completed loaf,but daughter in law has a sunbeam machine and hers comes out great like mine. Different brands and models have different raising and cooking times, that is all I can think of.
Sorry you were disappointed.

kinna54, Apr 3, 6:02am
Here is a sunbeam recipe for hot cross buns: this has the NZ measures; haven't made it myself so can't guarantee but others have said it's good:
Hot cross Buns:
4tsps yeast.
3 and 1/2 cups + 1 TBSP flour.
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
3/4 cup sultanas
1egg
2TBSPS Margarine
310 mls tepid water

Place all ingredients *in the order listed* except sultanas in the bread pan.
Select sweet dough cycle
Add sultanas about 15mins into the cycle
When breadmaker finishes the cycle, remove dough and knead out on a floured surface until the dough is "elastic" and springs back. Divide dough into 12 pieces and shape into balls. Place close together on a baking tray, leave to rise for 30mins, then ad crosses* Mix made from 80gms flour,80mls water, 3tsps sugar
Bake for 20-25 mins until golden .
Glaze: 2TBSPS water
1 TBSP sugar
1tsp gelatine
Glaze directions: combine ingredients in a jug, microwave on med for 1-2 mins, brush over hot buns.

kinna54, Apr 3, 6:08am
Note: the recipe I posted was for the loaf, which I never have trouble with. For buns you would have to really make sure that you remove the dough from the machine at the right stage of the cycle, timing would be very important. I do use my bread recipes and remove and oven finish for rolls etc, but I have calculated the time to suit my machine.

kinna54, Apr 3, 6:23am
I usually make that spice loaf on basic med crust,as DH likes it really crusty, but am just giving it a go nowon sweet to compare. Let u know.

camper18, Apr 3, 8:23am
Mines a Sanyo and "Kinnas " loaf on sweet came out great for me. I wonder if your yeast is off "Harrislucinder" as I was having all sorts of trouble for awhile until I worked out it was the yeast. I now keep it in the fridge and no more problems.

harrislucinda, Apr 3, 9:44am
no madeup as giventhendoneundersweetsettingi have abrevilleIkeepmyredtop yeast in thefridgeonlylastweekmadeciabatta breadthatwasokThe chookslovedit

kinna54, Apr 3, 10:18am
Just took it out, baked in the breville on sweet, and it looks awesome. Still waiting for it to cool, but it's perfectly cooked, smells amazing, and looks light. I would be looking at the yeast (I had a bad batch a while ago, check theuse by date on the yeast maybe, a ciabatta loaf would have less rising perhaps) or only other thing I can think of is something happened in the mixing. Sounds like the chooks were well fed but I hate it when good ingredients get wasted. Hope it won't put you off more breadmaking.

suzanna, Apr 3, 11:42am
Hi there. Can you tell me please what type of b/maker you have? I really lke the sound of your recipe but I am wondering if it makes a much larger batch than mine? I have an older Panasonic and I only ever use around 2-21/2 cups of flour? Any ideas much appreciated thanks.

kinna54, Apr 3, 9:36pm
Hi suzanna. I have a Breville, and i can make up toa 1 kg loaf. I make a 750gm loaf from the spice loaf recipe I listed, but think I may also have the recipe for 500g loaf, I will look it up. The bun recipe is a *sunbeam recipe*, *fairly old*, it says it makes 12 buns, so I'd say it is a fairly large mix.
Hope that helps.
Ps. tip for everyone. Watch where you buy your yeast. Check the use by date, as I went to get a new one at P"N Save, stock on the shelf was already past the use by date.

kinna54, Apr 3, 9:42pm
Cameo I like the sound of your recipe. Similar quantities to mine. Am going to give it a go.