chicken from the chinese shop whats it marinated?

missmad, Mar 11, 6:38am
the chicken that you get in your chow mein or whatever is always so nice and melt in your mouth, please oh please someone tell me what they do to it to make it so nice i presume it is marinated?

maxwell.inc, Mar 11, 7:10am
Baking soda and Corn Starch

Cut chicken into thin strips... pop into a bowl with 1 tsp of baking soda and give it a quick mince around with your fingers. . let it sit for 15-20 mins ( no longer as it breaks down the protein bonds thats why its so soft when u eat it )

Take that chicken and rinse it WELL under cold water once the 'slimy feeling' goes during washing, pop the chicken on a pile of paper towels and let the excess water run off.

Then take the chicken and pop it in a bowl with 1tsp of corn starch. . mix it around again with your hand... leave for 15 mins.

Part cook in a hot wok or pan. . basically until it is JUST white but not 100% cooked

take out set aside. . cook your vegies off then replace chicken, add sauce(s) and other flavorings... cook for a few more mins until chicken cooked thru

Thats all there is to it :o) of course they do it on a much bigger scale. . but thats the home version for you. . this also works with beef. . cheap casserole cuts can be made just as tender this way.

uli, Mar 11, 7:27am
Sounds pretty terrible maxwell. inc ...
I much prefer a rare to medium steak LOL :)

maxwell.inc, Mar 11, 7:31am
Hehe sounds nasty yup, but tastes fine :o)

but its actually how things are done, I was taught by a lovely old Chinese Woman.

missmad, Mar 11, 9:25am
wow thanks for that, gonna give it a go in the next day or so.

hilt_dwane, Mar 11, 10:25pm
Is corn starch the same as cornflower? If not, where can I find it please?

maxwell.inc, Mar 11, 11:34pm
corn starch/corn flour = same thing

cap, Oct 23, 2:17am
I always velvet my chicken. I cube the chicken meat and then add an egg white and about a tablespoon of cornflour and leave it for about 30 minutes before I cook it. I never rinse it off. It definitely helps keep the chicken moist.