Whats you best tip for making fried rice moist

gerry64, Mar 30, 12:49am
have tried heaps of recipes but would like for it to be not so dry - but dont want to overpower it with extra soy sauce - any ideas

davidt4, Mar 30, 2:17am
Fried rice is supposed to be dry, with separate grains of rice, but if you want it to be wetter you could add some home made chicken stock.

Perhaps it is congee that you are trying to make - a sloppy rice porridge that is garnished with various tasty things like dried fish, 100 year old eggs, lap cheung sausage etc.

gerry64, Mar 30, 2:58am
might give the 100 year old eggs a miss - will try chicken stock - dont want it sloppy like a congee - but everytime I make it really is quite tasteless -

tigerlilly16, Mar 30, 3:09am
maybe try a small amount of soy sauce then, a Tablespoon full, or two, or try other oriental flavoured sauces, like hoisin sauce or oyster sauce or a very small amount of fish sauce. For added flavour add chpped fresh ginger at the start too.

ant_sonja, Mar 30, 3:10am
Try cooking the rice in the stock - might make a difference. For a basic (plain) fried rice I add a little soy & fish sauce when frying as well as a splash of vinegar. A bit of palm sugar can help bring out flavour too and I like to finish with a drizzle of good sesame oil. usually also include onion/garlic & carrot (finely sliced) when frying the rice.

gerry64, Mar 30, 3:16am
cheers you two have all those ingredients - so will have a go with some of them

davidt4, Mar 30, 3:18am
Here is a link to the best fried rice recipe ever - Kylie Kwong's Delicious Fried Rice.I don't eat rice these days, but when I did I would make this using Chinese sausage (lap cheong) rather than bacon, and add a tab. ofChinese salted radish, rinsed and finely chopped.It's a bit of a sodium overload but truly delectable.

http://www.abc.net.au/kyliekwong/recipes/s952410.htm

seiger, Mar 30, 4:21am
Simply add some water to the light soy. I put the soy into a small glass and some water, about 60/40. This way you get moisture and soy flavour without it being overpowering.

gerry64, Mar 30, 4:23am
Will give this a go -really enjoy her program on TV - had a look can subsitite the maggi seasoning with dark soy and worcestshire sauce if I cant find it at supermarket - have tried the chinese sausage before - very moorish - thank you david

davidt4, Mar 30, 5:04am
Please don't use Worcestershire sauce - the flavour would be completely wrong.Maggi seasoning sauce is available at Asian foodmarkets (it comes in little bottles with a yellow label and a long thin neck) and another brand is Golden Mountain, but if you can't find it just use a bit more light soy sauce.

gerry64, Mar 30, 5:20am
thanks for that tip re the worcestshire sauce David - got the info online - will be able to find the maggi seasoning over here I am sure

sophia4, Mar 30, 8:07am
put the lid on at the end for a little while will moisten it a bit.

fee1965, Mar 31, 3:47am
i make my fried rice very much like kylie kwongs, it's yummy, YOU MUST USE PEANUT OIL, it is the secret to good fried rice.sounds like you may have overcooked the rice if it's very dry - i usually cook my rice in rice cooker, spread otu to cool for about an hour (or put in fridge for 30mins) then fry it.So yummy, i add prawns too!!!!

accroul, Mar 31, 4:01am
I put a little sherry into the fried rice that I make as well as soy sauce.

gerry64, Mar 31, 6:52am
Yumee!!!! thank you all for pointing me in the right direction - Kylies recipe was 200% better than any other I have used cheers david- I spread my rice out as you advised fee - it didnt end up clumpy - I cooked some beautiful ozzie prawns in chillie paste and added them - couldnt get the chinese sausage anywhere here but will get some next time I go to Sydney -found the maggi seasoning sauce would have passed that by thinking it was like a maggi processed stock - cheers all of you - that is what is so good about this MB you can read all the recipes on the net but it is so much better to get somebodies best favourite to try