Your favourite soup recipes?

Page 1 / 2
g_k, Mar 28, 10:39pm
What is your all time fav soup dish?

I'm after a cracking good soup to impress my mum when she comes to stay on the weekend. I was thinking of a French onion soup but I'm not sure if they taste nice or not. Please post your favourite recipe, any flavour is fine!

purplegoanna, Mar 29, 12:17am
mine is a tm winner every winter. Roast Pumpkin & Garlic Soup
I use a whole lge white skinned ‘Crown or Grey pumpkins’, cut into wedges, deseeded then half again, roast in olive oil with 1-2 lge garlic bulbs, broken into cloves and peeled. Separately dice & fry 5-6 rashers of bacon in a large saucepan. After bacon is browned add pumpkin pieces (skin removed|) & garlic. Use a stick blender to blend into a smooth mix, adding enough chicken stock while blending until you get a nice thick soup consistency, then add, salt, pepper & 1tsp curry powder to taste. Reheat on low heat slowly and serve with grilled cheese toast. To impress guests add a dollop of sour cream just before serving, use a toothpick and draw lines from sour cream out into soup, then serve. Or add 1/2c of coconut cream for extra richness.

waswoods, Mar 29, 12:21am
And I'm in bed sick and would love some of this right now!

motorbo, Mar 29, 12:50am
i made annabelle langbeins fresh tomatoe soup on sunday and it was delish, could hunt for recipe later if your keen

cottagerose, Mar 29, 2:05am
I would be keen when you have time. Thankyou!!

g_k, Mar 29, 2:26am
That sounds fantastic! Thank you

suie1, Mar 29, 3:07am
Yum, saving to my documents.TY

kob, Mar 29, 6:13pm
pumpkin and sundried tomato soup, add peeled and chopped pumpkin to the pot add a few peeled potatoes, and some diced onions cover with beef stock,add the sundried tomatoes and add a good teaspoon of nutmeg simmer, for a couple of hours add S&P to your likings and once cooked blend and ass fresh parsley to the bowl with a swirl of cream to garnish.

kob, Mar 29, 6:15pm
kumera & leek soup......to the pot add a good hunk of butter and lightly fry 4 chopped & washed leeks, then add kumera, about 6 good ones peeled and chopped cover with chicken stock and cook for a good 2 hours adding S&P as desired, blend once cooked and add parsly as the soup is about to be served.

ant_sonja, Mar 29, 9:16pm
Nothing beats a home made chicken soup for me :-) Making a batch tonight with Semolina dumplings and veggies - Yum! No matter what soup you like tho, the secret imo is the quality of the stock. I will be using organic chicken drum sticks today; place them in a big pot and just cover with cold water. simmer them together with a couple of bay leaves, a couple of crushed garlic cloves, some pepper corns, a couple of stalks of celery (with the leaves still on) and one or two good sized carrots, also roughly chopped. Cook this until the meat is tender and easily coming of the bone. I remove all the chicken meat and set aside for later. Place the bones back in the pot & cook for another hour or so. Then I strain the liquid & discard the bones/stock vegies. The stock & chicken meat goes back in a pot now as well as fresh veggies - sliced carrots & leaks and celery (whatever you like) Now the dumplings: 300ml milk, 25gr butter, 1 tsp salt, a pinch of nutmeg )freshly ground is best), 100gr semolina, 2 eggs and chopped fresh parsley & chives.
Heat the milk with the butter, salt, nutmeg until just starting to simmer - stir in the semolina with a whisk and immediately remove the pot from heat. Stir in the eggs, one by one until well combined finishing the dumpling mix by adding the herbs. Using a couple of spoons or your hands, shape small dumplings and drop these into the hot soup (should be on a low simmer) - cover with lid and cook for 10 minutes.
Your veggies should be tender by now as well. All thats needed now is seasoning with salt & pepper and the soup is ready to serve - I like to add more fresh herbs at the end, parsley, chives and chopped celery leaves..

g_k, Mar 29, 10:39pm
What is your all time fav soup dish!

I'm after a cracking good soup to impress my mum when she comes to stay on the weekend. I was thinking of a French onion soup but I'm not sure if they taste nice or not. Please post your favourite recipe, any flavour is fine!

earthangel4, Mar 29, 11:07pm
yum,thank you for this recipe,while I was off work recovering from surgery,my friend made me some chicken soup,it was so yummy,Ihad a 2 litre ice cream container full,so put it into cup size containers,and froze it,just finished my last lot on sunday,so boy was I thrilled to see you post this.

ant_sonja, Mar 29, 11:36pm
Ah what a lovely friend you have - here's to a speedy recovery for you!
Chicken soup will no doubt help :-D

waswoods, Mar 30, 12:21am
And I'm in bed sick and would love some of this right now!

cottagerose, Mar 30, 2:05am
I would be keen when you have time. Thankyou!

kob, Mar 30, 6:15pm
kumera & leek soup.to the pot add a good hunk of butter and lightly fry 4 chopped & washed leeks, then add kumera, about 6 good ones peeled and chopped cover with chicken stock and cook for a good 2 hours adding S&P as desired, blend once cooked and add parsly as the soup is about to be served.

ruby19, Mar 30, 7:46pm
Green split peas soup.

This is amazing since there are so little ingredients. Also very economical!

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 large onions, chopped
1.5 cups dried split green peas, picked over and rinsed
5 cups water
2-3 tsp vegata vegetable stock powder*
a few pinches of smoked paprika

Add olive oil to a big pot over med-high heat. Stir in onions cook until the onions soften, just a minute or two. Add the split peas and water and paprika. Bring to a boil, turn down the heat, and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the peas are cooked through. Puree the soup that is still remaining in the pot. If you need to thin the soup out with more water (or stock) do so a bit at a time. Season to taste.
* I add 2 tsp of stock powder to the water to start, then taste at the end and add a little more powder if needed to enhance the flavour. You can add lemon juice at end if liked.

ant_sonja, Mar 30, 9:16pm
Nothing beats a home made chicken soup for me :-) Making a batch tonight with Semolina dumplings and veggies - Yum! No matter what soup you like tho, the secret imo is the quality of the stock. I will be using organic chicken drum sticks today; place them in a big pot and just cover with cold water. simmer them together with a couple of bay leaves, a couple of crushed garlic cloves, some pepper corns, a couple of stalks of celery (with the leaves still on) and one or two good sized carrots, also roughly chopped. Cook this until the meat is tender and easily coming of the bone. I remove all the chicken meat and set aside for later. Place the bones back in the pot & cook for another hour or so. Then I strain the liquid & discard the bones/stock vegies. The stock & chicken meat goes back in a pot now as well as fresh veggies - sliced carrots & leaks and celery (whatever you like) Now the dumplings: 300ml milk, 25gr butter, 1 tsp salt, a pinch of nutmeg )freshly ground is best), 100gr semolina, 2 eggs and chopped fresh parsley & chives.
Heat the milk with the butter, salt, nutmeg until just starting to simmer - stir in the semolina with a whisk and immediately remove the pot from heat. Stir in the eggs, one by one until well combined finishing the dumpling mix by adding the herbs. Using a couple of spoons or your hands, shape small dumplings and drop these into the hot soup (should be on a low simmer) - cover with lid and cook for 10 minutes.
Your veggies should be tender by now as well. All thats needed now is seasoning with salt & pepper and the soup is ready to serve - I like to add more fresh herbs at the end, parsley, chives and chopped celery leaves.

ant_sonja, Mar 30, 11:36pm
Ah what a lovely friend you have - here's to a speedy recovery for you!
Chicken soup will no doubt help :-D

tarshlove, Apr 3, 8:58pm
I can vouch for this its dam good!

tarshlove, Apr 4, 11:49pm
Bumping for jc_cw

omokoroa1, Apr 4, 11:59pm
i have a book called The Soup Bible ............i wouldnt say i have favourites because they all are yummy...............if anybody is looking for an unusual soup.....let me know ill scan some pages off and send a link

omokoroa1, Apr 5, 11:59pm
i have a book called The Soup Bible .i wouldnt say i have favourites because they all are yummy.if anybody is looking for an unusual soup.let me know ill scan some pages off and send a link

dansac, Apr 6, 11:16pm
Made this on the weekend, absolutely delicous. thank you PG

papariccardo, Apr 6, 11:27pm
Tom Yum, no contest. The flavours are intense, & it's low cal while boosting your metabolism. Although for thick soups, I love a decent Pea & Ham. I do a mean watercress, carrot & tomato soup too.

I'm gonna try PGs Pumpkin soup next week with Mr12, sounds divine!