Cheese cake sour cream & maybe yoghurt please.

workingman1, Mar 28, 12:46am
I would like to make a cheese cake & have sour cream & natural unsweetened yoghurt, has anyone got a recipe using either-both of these please & thanks.
Or should I go & buy some cream cheese

jessie981, Mar 28, 2:01am
New York cheese cake
125gplain biscuits 75g unsalted butter 750g cream cheese.room temperature 1 c caster sugar 2t vanilla extract 1T lemon juice 2Tplain flour 4 eggs 300g carton sour cream
Process biscuits add butter place in fridge.
Beat cream cheese,sugar,vanilla and lemon juice,add flour and beat, add eggs 1 at a time beating well. Stir in sour cream.
Pour into cake pan and place on oven tray.
Cook 55 min to 1 hour till just set in middle. Turn oven off leave door ajar allow to cool completely. Chill for 4 hours...enjoy

Quotetoki11 (74 )4:56 pm, Tue 7 Dec #2

workingman1, Mar 28, 2:57am
Thanks Jessie for the recipe but I haven't got any cream cheese & was wondering if I could just use sour cream & maybe yoghurt. looks like I will haft to go to the shops tomorrow for cream cheese. Thanks again.

eastie3, Mar 28, 3:22am
Cheesecake really depends on cream cheese as the key ingredient.

245sam, Mar 28, 3:37am
workingman1, have a look at:-

http://www.easiyo.com/easiyo-recipe-details/lemon-yogurt-cheesecake.html http://www.easiyo.com/easiyo-recipe-details/apricot-yogurt-cheesecake.html

I agree with eastie3 that "Cheesecake really depends on cream cheese as the key ingredient" however I have seen a rare few recipes that don't use cream cheese but use cottage cheese instead, and the recipes on the above links actually have neither cream or cottage cheese but instead they use yoghurt, no sour cream though.:-))

buzzy110, Mar 28, 3:48am
workingman, I know you want to make cheesecake but have you thought of adding gelatine to the mix of sour cream and yoghurt and whatever else you are going to add, beating it up and then letting it set. It won't exactly be a cheesecake, more of a panna cotta cum souffle.

If it were me I'd just make it up as I went. First I'd soften a couple of teaspoons of gelatine in cold water and dissolve in ¼cup of hot water and cool. Then I'd probably beat a couple of egg whites till stiff. Then beat the egg yolks with sugar till thick and creamy (put beating bowl into another bowl with hot water).Beat the yoghurt and sour cream, add in the egg yolk mixture, then fold in the egg white. Last add the cooled gelatine. Pour into the prepared base and refrigerate. If you have any frozen berries you could blend those up and add.

jessie981, Mar 29, 2:01am
New York cheese cake
125gplain biscuits 75g unsalted butter 750g cream cheese.room temperature 1 c caster sugar 2t vanilla extract 1T lemon juice 2Tplain flour 4 eggs 300g carton sour cream
Process biscuits add butter place in fridge.
Beat cream cheese,sugar,vanilla and lemon juice,add flour and beat, add eggs 1 at a time beating well. Stir in sour cream.
Pour into cake pan and place on oven tray.
Cook 55 min to 1 hour till just set in middle. Turn oven off leave door ajar allow to cool completely. Chill for 4 hours.enjoy

Quotetoki11 (74 )4:56 pm, Tue 7 Dec #2

workingman1, Mar 29, 2:57am
Thanks Jessie for the recipe but I haven't got any cream cheese & was wondering if I could just use sour cream & maybe yoghurt. looks like I will haft to go to the shops tomorrow for cream cheese. Thanks again.

245sam, Mar 29, 3:37am
workingman1, have a look at:-

http://www.easiyo.com/easiyo-recipe-details/lemon-yogurt-cheesecake.html http://www.easiyo.com/easiyo-recipe-details/apricot-yogurt-cheesecake.html

I agree with eastie3 that "Cheesecake really depends on cream cheese as the key ingredient" however I have seen a rare few recipes that don't use cream cheese but use cottage cheese instead, and the recipes on the above links actually have neither cream or cottage cheese but instead they use yoghurt, no sour cream though.:-))

buzzy110, Mar 29, 3:48am
workingman, I know you want to make cheesecake but have you thought of adding gelatine to the mix of sour cream and yoghurt and whatever else you are going to add, beating it up and then letting it set. It won't exactly be a cheesecake, more of a panna cotta cum souffle.

If it were me I'd just make it up as I went. First I'd soften a couple of teaspoons of gelatine in cold water and dissolve in ¼cup of hot water and cool. Then I'd probably beat a couple of egg whites till stiff. Then beat the egg yolks with sugar till thick and creamy (put beating bowl into another bowl with hot water).Beat the yoghurt and sour cream, add in the egg yolk mixture, then fold in the egg white. Last add the cooled gelatine. Pour into the prepared base and refrigerate. If you have any frozen berries you could blend those up and add.