Louise Cake egg white topping

Page 2 / 2
cgvl, Mar 28, 8:31pm
Love Louise cake as well (do it in a sponge roll tin as a slice), its also my all time favourite, along with ginger slice.
As a child/teenager I used to do all the baking in the house (my choice) and I would be allowed to choose one cake/biscuit/slice I wanted, as you can guess it was either a louise cake or sponge cake.

cookessentials, Mar 28, 11:02pm
it is always slightly moist and will go this way when kept in a container.it shouldnt weep though. i use caster sugar as it dissolves far more quickly. I LOVE Louise cake I do it as a slice and make sure I use plenty of jam for the filling.

gardie, Mar 29, 4:41am
I made this recipe the other day and found the louise type topping the best I've ever made - I think its the flour.(Its cherry almond slice BTW)

1 1/2 cups SR flour
150g butter
1/2 cup sugar
Melt butter, add rest press into greased tin and bake 180 for 10 mins.

Mix 1/4 cup (maybe more) red jam, bit of almond essence and 1/4 cup chopped cherries
Spread on base.

1 1/2 cups coconut
1/2 cup SR flour
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
50g melted butter
1tsp almond essence
Mix, spread over jam and bake 20-30 mins 180.

Leave 10 mins before cutting.

Makes about 20 pieces and I have frozen it.

bluebell42 (39 )4:31 pm, Sun 20 Feb #3

grandma, Mar 29, 9:22am
I make my Louise Cake in a slice tin too cookessentials.My husband would like me to make it every week - it's a real favourite of his.The topping is soft and not at all meringue like - just as he likes it!

jaybee6, Mar 29, 7:30pm
I use icing sugar and then fold in the coconut.It works everytime.

lodgelocum, Mar 30, 4:50am
I use 4 egg whites with one cup of sugar, beat whites until stiff, add sugar, beat, fold in coconut, place over jam base, bake 25 minutes.

kinna54, Mar 30, 5:13am
I usually have the opposite, it comes out crisp and tends to break if not cut with a hot knife. I just use the Edmonds as directed.(mind you mine is the old Edmonds book 1976 ) has 2 egg whites , 125gms sugar ( I use castor).
I believe the secret is in the beating,beat the egg whites really stiff, before adding the sugar gradually, beating again until the sugar is well beaten in, and then quickly just fold in the 50 gms coconut.If the meringue is too sloppy it will go soft and rubbery upon cooking.
You could also try turning the oven off during the last 5 mins of cooking time, and then leaving the slice to stand in the warm oven for a few mins, to add extra crispness.
I have also noticed that sometimes it is the eggs as well. I made a Queen pudding the other night, and the meringue on there was softer than usual: I put it down to the fact that the eggs were possibly really fresh.
Hope that helps.

kinna54, Mar 30, 5:13am
I usually have the opposite, it comes out crisp and tends to break if not cut with a hot knife. I just use the Edmonds as directed.(mind you mine is the old Edmonds book 1976 ) has 2 egg whites , 125gms sugar ( I use castor).
I believe the secret is in the beating,beat the egg whites really stiff, before adding the sugar gradually, beating again until the sugar is well beaten in, and then quickly just fold in the 50 gms coconut.If the meringue is too sloppy it will go soft and rubbery upon cooking.
You could also try turning the oven off during the last 5 mins of cooking time, and then leaving the slice to stand in the warm oven for a few mins, to add extra crispness.
I have also noticed that sometimes it is the eggs as well. I made a Queen pudding the other night, and the meringue on there was softer than usual: I put it down to the fact that the eggs were possibly really fresh.
Hope that helps.and Yep slice tin for me too.