Limes, can they be preserved like lemons?

iriegirl, Mar 27, 3:49am
And has anyonen tried this? Have some lovely limes I brought off here and want to make the most of them! cheersv and tia

davidt4, Mar 27, 3:58am
Yes, they can be preserved in salt like lemons, however the colour turns a murky grey.I made a whole lot a few years ago but found that I didn't use them a lot.They are good for Turkish and Egyptian dishes, but dried limes are better.

When I am lucky enough to have a lime surplus I freeze them.The zest is difficult to grate but the juice is great for SE Asian dishes, also for ceviche and other kinds of raw fish salads.

iriegirl, Mar 27, 4:15am
Thanks davidt4, I did wonder about them discolouring, murky grey doesn't sound too appealing! So re the above, how do you dry them? and do you freeze them whole? And could you zest them first and freeze the zest seperately? Thanks :)

davidt4, Mar 27, 5:09am
Dried limes - I buy from my local Middle Eastern food market.

Frozen whole - just put them into a container and they will freeze free-flow.

I toyed with the idea of zesting and freezing it separately but in the end couldn't be bothered.By the way, Kaffir limes freeze well and you CAN zest them frozen as the zest is bumpy and thick.

iriegirl, Mar 28, 2:54am
Thanks so much for that davidt4, in the freezer they go! And may see where i can get some kaffir limes to freeze also as they will be great to have through winter!

iriegirl, Mar 28, 3:49am
And has anyonen tried this! Have some lovely limes I brought off here and want to make the most of them! cheersv and tia

davidt4, Mar 28, 3:58am
Yes, they can be preserved in salt like lemons, however the colour turns a murky grey.I made a whole lot a few years ago but found that I didn't use them a lot.They are good for Turkish and Egyptian dishes, but dried limes are better.

When I am lucky enough to have a lime surplus I freeze them.The zest is difficult to grate but the juice is great for SE Asian dishes, also for ceviche and other kinds of raw fish salads.

iriegirl, Mar 28, 4:15am
Thanks davidt4, I did wonder about them discolouring, murky grey doesn't sound too appealing! So re the above, how do you dry them! and do you freeze them whole! And could you zest them first and freeze the zest seperately! Thanks :)

davidt4, Mar 28, 5:09am
Dried limes - I buy from my local Middle Eastern food market.

Frozen whole - just put them into a container and they will freeze free-flow.

I toyed with the idea of zesting and freezing it separately but in the end couldn't be bothered.By the way, Kaffir limes freeze well and you CAN zest them frozen as the zest is bumpy and thick.

sarahj1, Mar 28, 10:22pm
When limes are cheap I buy lots, cut them in half and freeze.Defrost to juice for Asian or Mexican cooking and margaritas!

uli, Mar 28, 11:02pm
I don't zest my limes - I grate them :) Much faster and works very well.
The limes themselves get squeezed and frozen or used for a nice Greek lamb shoulder (although most likely it is goat shoulder here).

If I have many limes then I go and cover the grated rind in vodka - perfect for cooking, desserts, drinks, baking.

uli, Mar 28, 11:03pm
Could you let me know which breed of limes has ripe fruit now? As mine seem to come all on in winter and early spring. I'd love to have a lime tree that fruits in summer!

davidt4, Mar 28, 11:25pm
Our Tahitian lime is fruiting at the moment.

uli, Mar 29, 1:29am
Mine doesn't - it finished in December is now busy making new limes. I guess I could harvest some really green unripe ones - but must admit I like the slightly yellow big and plump ones much more.

I think the people who harvest the green unripe ones are mistaken in harvesting far too early - simply because in the tropics they will always be green - so you will always see green skinned limes in tropical pictures and recipes.

But this is simply because the temperature difference between day and night is not sufficient for them to change skin colour. You also buy green oranges in the tropics :)

iriegirl, Mar 29, 1:39am
Uli, heres a listing for the ones I got off here, theyr'e absolutely beaut limes :) Listing #: 364940771

uli, Mar 29, 1:53am
Thanks - I see they are Bearrs - mine are Mexican and Tahitian.
So might have to plant another one :)

uli, Mar 29, 11:02pm
I don't zest my limes - I grate them :) Much faster and works very well.
The limes themselves get squeezed and frozen or used for a nice Greek lamb shoulder (although most likely it is goat shoulder here).

If I have many limes then I go and cover the grated rind in vodka - perfect for cooking, desserts, drinks, baking.

uli, Mar 29, 11:03pm
Could you let me know which breed of limes has ripe fruit now! As mine seem to come all on in winter and early spring. I'd love to have a lime tree that fruits in summer!

uli, Mar 30, 1:29am
Mine doesn't - it finished in December is now busy making new limes. I guess I could harvest some really green unripe ones - but must admit I like the slightly yellow big and plump ones much more.

I think the people who harvest the green unripe ones are mistaken in harvesting far too early - simply because in the tropics they will always be green - so you will always see green skinned limes in tropical pictures and recipes.

But this is simply because the temperature difference between day and night is not sufficient for them to change skin colour. You also buy green oranges in the tropics :)

iriegirl, Mar 30, 1:39am
Uli, heres a listing for the ones I got off here, theyr'e absolutely beaut limes :) Listing #: 364940771