Sauerkraut and pork in the crockpot

nick2178, Mar 26, 12:48am
Hi, I have a tin of sauerkraut that I thought I would cook in the crockpot with some pork chops. Do I need to wash it? and how long should I cook it for? The ingredients are salt and cabbage. And should I add anything else?

It's my first attempt at cooking/ using/ and eating sauerkraut.

lilyfield, Mar 26, 1:16am
sauerkraut tastes much nicer if cooked with some smoked meat or sausage.Taste it raw to see if it needs washing. Some people don't like it too sour.Or you can add a grated potato at the end to mellow it a little. that will bind the juices at the same time.Cook it as long as the meat takes.

corgi731, Mar 26, 1:18am
Sorry for asking, but what is sauerkraut?

lilyfield, Mar 26, 1:45am

corgi731, Mar 26, 1:59am
thanks......... but eeeeek

elliehen, Mar 26, 3:59am
if you're ever offered a Korean meal, you'll find kimchi - their version of fermented cabbage - an important part of it :)

lenart, Mar 26, 7:16am
Better try first, then either eeeeek.... or yuuuum... Myself really prefer sauerkraut to coleslaw. Never tried the one from the tin, prefer to make it myself, never wash it before cooking, and yes, it is great with something smoked with a little bit of potatoe chunks added.

nick2178, Mar 27, 12:48am
Hi, I have a tin of sauerkraut that I thought I would cook in the crockpot with some pork chops. Do I need to wash it! and how long should I cook it for! The ingredients are salt and cabbage. And should I add anything else!

It's my first attempt at cooking/ using/ and eating sauerkraut.

lilyfield, Mar 27, 1:16am
sauerkraut tastes much nicer if cooked with some smoked meat or sausage.Taste it raw to see if it needs washing. Some people don't like it too sour.Or you can add a grated potato at the end to mellow it a little. that will bind the juices at the same time.Cook it as long as the meat takes.

corgi731, Mar 27, 1:18am
Sorry for asking, but what is sauerkraut!

corgi731, Mar 27, 1:59am
thanks. but eeeeek

elliehen, Mar 27, 3:59am
if you're ever offered a Korean meal, you'll find kimchi - their version of fermented cabbage - an important part of it :)

lenart, Mar 27, 7:16am
Better try first, then either eeeeek. or yuuuum. Myself really prefer sauerkraut to coleslaw. Never tried the one from the tin, prefer to make it myself, never wash it before cooking, and yes, it is great with something smoked with a little bit of potatoe chunks added.